none
VS Studio 2012 Pro RTM Trial : after install : creating any new Project fails

Question

• Win 7 Pro 64 bit OS

Summary: after removing VS 2012 RC1 Pro Trial, and installing VS 2012 RTM Pro Trial (with several install errors): I am unable to use VS, or Windows Forms, because I am prevented from ever opening the Design View of Forms, cannot inspect Project Properties, etc.

Here is a link to the vslogs.cab file created by running the .NET Log Collection Utility mentioned by Heath: (on SkyDrive):

Results of Log Collection Utility (.cab file)

Here is a link (on DropBox) to the final install log for VS 2012 Pro RTM Trial 10/10 9:03PM (GMT +7):

VS 2012 Pro RTM install log

After a heroic struggle to remove the VS Studio RC trial, which involved having to hand-edit the registry to remove all entries fo FrameWork 4.5RC, in order to finally get that to un-install ... I finally was able to install the 2012 Pro Trial. I was able to "register" for a 90 day trial use period successfully.

During the installation of the 2012 Pro Trial: the following components would not load:

eftool.msi
    dacframework.msi
    ssdt.msi
    ssdtbuildutilities.msi
    webdeploy_x64.msi
    iisexpress_64_en.msi
    webtoolsextensionsvs.msi
    vstor40_x64.msi
    riaservices.msi

Each threw the typical error I was seeing as I tried to un-install VS Studio 2012 RC1: the error dialog shows the installer can't find an .msi file (and, I've checked, the .msi file it is looking for doesn't exist on my computer, nor does the folder name it tells you that it has failed to find the .msi file in):

For example, for riaservices.msi, the error dialog shows a file path of the form where it expected to find the .msi file:

C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{3520481A-4075-43D7-9133-93A8399E7099}v4.1.61709.0\packages\RIA\

In the  dialog and asks you to browse to find the correct folder: only neither the .msi file, or a folder of that name exists on the computer.

However, VS Studio 2012 Pro RTM Trial did install, finally.

Here is a screen shot, of the VS install screen just after the install when "Launch" in blue is visible:

VS 2012 Pro RTM Trial just after install

When I launch the RTM Trial, the usual interface is presented. I then select to create a new Project: I then select "Windows Forms," and give the Project a name, and click to create the new WinForms Project.

Then this error message appears:

"TestNewVSWinFormProject could not be opened because the Visual C# 2012 compiler could not be created. Error creating instance of managed object 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.ManagedObjectFactory' (Error code is 0x80131513)."

If I close that error warning, and close that WinForms Project, and then immediately create another WinForms Project: that error message does not appear again, and the typical parts of WinForm app are created : Form.cs file, Form Designer.cs file, Program.cs file, app.config. 

Examining the code in each of the Form, Form Designer, and Program.cs reveals nothing unusual. The Project References seem standard. That second WinForms project can be built, and will run, showing the Form as expected !

However, attempting to inspect the Properties of the Project throws this error:

"An error occurred trying to load the page.

Error creating instance of managed object 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.CodeModel.CodeModelFactory' (Error code is 0x80131513)."

And, when VS attempts to show the main Form in design-view (standard behavior after you create a new WinForms Project): the familiar window with dark blue at the top, and a yellow panel beneath it, that indicates you do not have access to design view (which usually appears because something is screwed in the Designer.cs file) appears.

With the message in the yellow panel reading:

"The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within it can be designed."

The call stack shows:

at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.EnsureDocument(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
    at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.DeferredLoadHandler.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32 fReload) 

The same behavior I have described above also applies to trying to create a new "Empty WinForms Project," or a "WPF Project." Although the one WPF project I created, quickly ended up crashing VS 2012 RTM Pro Trial.

I conclude that:

1. I have a "bad install" of Visual Studio Pro RTM Test, possibly related to the difficulties I had in removing the previous Visual Studio Pro 2012 RC 1, and its assocated FrameWork 4.5RC file.

2. I have no resources that allow me to fully un-install all programs, resources, registry entries, etc., for what is now on my system, and do a fresh install of the 2012 RTM Pro Trial.

3. My work is completely interrupted, and I am unable to use Visual Studio at all

4. fyi: I am a licensed owner of VS Studio 2010; I could re-install that: but then what would happen to all the projects I developed in VS 2012 RC1 trial ?

Here are the previous three log reports in recent-to-previous order produced by my efforts to un-install VS Studio RC1 Pro Trial:

10/10 7:45PM

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/509136/dd_vs_update_20121010185114.log.txt

10/10 5:43 PM

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/509136/dd_vs_professional_20121010170938.log.txt

10/10 12:10PM

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/509136/dd_vs_professional_20121010115358.log.txt

Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:21 AM added link to results of running .NET Log Collection utility
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:18 AM

All replies

• I'm sorry for the hassles you've run into while trying to get the VS 2012 RC uninstalled and the RTM version installed.  It might help to try to use steps like the ones at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx to manually uninstall any leftover RC components that might be stuck on your computer.  After doing that, you'll hopefully be able to repair/re-install VS 2012 RTM and be able to successfully use it afterwards.

Thanks!

Aaron Stebner, XNA Development Platform team, Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:41 AM
  • Thanks Aaron, for replying promptly.

edit #2 ... okay ran the msiinv.exe, and I have examined the .txt file it produces: I find nothing in that file that suggests VS 2012 RC is present in any way, or FrameWork 4.5RC: the file is here:

result of msiinv

Would you suggest I now use the GUID for VS Studiio 2012 RTM and un-install that, and start over ? ... end edit #2 ...

I went to your blog entry you linked to above, and then clicked on the link to MSIInv, which leads to your SkyDrive page: on that page are five "tiles" with "msiinv" in the title: should I download the one titled "msiinv_new" which leads to downloading the file: "skydrive-2012-10-11.zip" ? ... seems the logical choice :)

edit ..."skydrive-2012-10-11.zip" unzips into two .zip files: msiinv.zip, dated 4/1/2010, and msiinv_new.zip, dated 12/15/2009 : which one to use ? ... end edit

I will certainly run that tool, and  follow the instructions blog, and see what happens.

I do wish there were an executable that could remove every trace of every version of Visual Studio ever installed.

At this point, I'd like to re-install my purchased version of VS 2010 Pro, just so I could get working again, but I am afraid to do that while in the current mess.

thanks, Bill

Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:54 AM added results of examining running msiinv.exe
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:27 AM
  • You'll need to go through your msiinv output, find each of the components that failed to uninstall when you uninstalled the VS 2012 RC, and follow the steps in the blog post to manually remove them.  After you do that, then you should be able to proceed with repairing VS 2012 RTM.

I think the easiest way to find these components is to search by install date.  From your log, it looks like all of the components from the VS 2012 RC were installed on this date:

Install date: 2012\06\02

Thanks!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Thanks, Aaron for your prompt reply !

Aaron wrote: "find each of the components that failed to uninstall when you uninstalled the VS 2012 RC ... snip ... search by install date."

Before I try your "remove by date strategy," I'd like to ask you if you think it's wise to first un-install the existing non-functional Visual Studio 2012 RTM, then run msiinv.exe again, and then look for any remaining components that match the date you suggest ?

Two suggestions I'd like to make:

1. update the blog articles on un-install, and msiinv.exe, which go back to 2005, and update what's on your SkyDrive, possibly (?). imho, anybody with a problem would certainly like to know exactly what the appropriate version of mssinv.exe to install and run is.

2. for the long run, anticipating perhaps even more problems like the one I am having (which is co$ting me dearly), in the transition to Win 8, consider providing a diagnostic tool, for Visual Studio installation, and/or a complete removal tool for all .NET installations (except those needed by the OS itself, obviously), so that one can get your system clean, and then do a clean re-install.

For "mere mortal" programmers, I think it is not possible to study the log files for an install or uninstall of Visual Studio, and infer from the error messages what needs to be done (to those programmers who can:  I salute you !).

thanks, Bill

Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Friday, October 12, 2012 7:02 AM small edit for clarity
    Friday, October 12, 2012 6:58 AM
  • I don't think you necessarily have to remove VS 2012 RTM before proceeding with the manual uninstall of the RC components.  However, if it were me, I would probably do so just so I can get back to a known clean state without VS 2012 installed at all.  If you do that, make sure to re-run msiinv so that you have an updated list of products that are installed on your computer before you start manually uninstalling the RC components.

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Forrest GuoModerator Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:48 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by dotScience Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by dotScience Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by dotScience Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:45 AM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Thanks, Aaron,

Please excuse the fact I first decided to "unpropose" your message as answer, then changed my mind, and "proposed" it, in order to counteract the first proposal: and, then, "unproposed" it again to, I had hoped, neutralize the proposal: which, by magic (?) now leaves the question in the state "Unmarked as Answer." Sounds like a sub-plot in a Gilbert and Sullivan opera :)

In any case, I certainly appreciate your answer, and your time, and I did follow the suggestion in your response to remove VS 2012 RTM, which, unfortunately: is now not removable for, evidently, the same reasons the RC1 was not removable.

"And so it goes," as Kurt Vonnegut writes so often in "Slaughter-House Five." :)

That led me to write a new post on this forum that I suspect you have seen.

Have a good day, best, Bill 

Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:54 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:51 AM
  • I'm sorry for the continued hassles.  I haven't seen your other post, so if you can reply and provide a link here, I'd appreciate it.

If you're unable to uninstall VS 2012 RTM, the same types of steps that I described to manually uninstall the VS 2012 RC should also work for VS 2012 RTM.  You'll just need to search for a different install date when you look in your msiinv output.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

You wrote: " I haven't seen your other post, so if you can reply and provide a link here, I'd appreciate it.:

The other post is here:

cannot un-install VS Studio Pro 2012 RTM

Aaron wrote: "You'll just need to search for a different install date when you look in your msiinv output.

The problem with analyzing the output of msiinv.exe in this case, is that I made multiple attempts to repair, and un-install over a period of days.

thanks, again, for your time,

best, Bill Woodruff

p.s. are you aware that in using the editor on this site, when you cut or copy text, and then paste it into the message, the text pasted in is set to a very small font, compared to the default editor display font ?

Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Monday, October 22, 2012 7:11 AM fixed spelling error
    Friday, October 19, 2012 12:35 AM
  • Repairing should not change the original install date listed for a product in the msiinv output, so I think it might still be possible to identify and manually remove the VS 2012 RTM components using the method I described earlier.

Thanks!

Friday, October 19, 2012 5:31 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

Thanks for all your patient responses here !

I will be working on analyzing the msiinv.exe file today, and trying to un-install.

Assuming that does not work, what do you think about:

1. manually editing the registry to remove all RTM references

or

2. putting my original licensed Win 7 install DVD in, and booting from it, and choosing "Repair"

thanks, Bill

Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Monday, October 22, 2012 7:11 AM fixed spelling error
    Friday, October 19, 2012 7:02 AM
  • I wouldn't recommend trying to manually edit the registry to remove references to VS 2012 RTM.  That product creates a lot of registry entries, so trying to manually remove them would be tricky and error prone.

In the worst case, if manually removing with the steps I sent previously doesn't work, I would recommend trying to repair/re-install Windows to fully clean things up.

Thanks!

Friday, October 19, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Hi Aaron, thanks  for all your help here, but I found it impossible to deduce exactly what to uninstall based on the output of msiinv.exe, after abortive attempts to remove VS 2012 RC 1, followed by abortive attempt to get a functional VS 2012 RTM install, followed by abortive attempts to remove VS 2012 RTM.

There are many "candidates" for un-installation I can see as I analyze the results of msiinv.exe, and I am afraid that un-installing some of them may damage my whole Win 7 system (which, of course, is completely backed-up from the time I first failed to be able to remove VS 2012 RC 1).

fyi: after using the free tool "Free Window Registry Repair 2.7" available at Free Registry Cleaner 2.7 :

I was finally able to un-install VS Studio 2012. Of course that left many "residual files" on the computer: I searched for all files with the pattern *Visual*Studio*.* ... manually deleted all directories and files that Visual Studio 2012 used on my machine.

For the fun of it, I then ran the Collect.exe tool: the results are publicly available here:

results of collect.exe 10/22/12

I also went to the last test solution I was able to create (compiled against FrameWork 4.5) with errors on load, and no design view available) in the buggy VS 2012, and ran the .exe file of that project in the /Bin folder: it ran, and presented a Form on the screen.

Now the interesting question is: try to install VS 2012 RTM again, or go back to using my licensed copy of Visual Studio Pro 2010. Well, I think I'll create a "Restore Point," and then try to install 2012 RTM. I've already done a complete back-up of the entire C drive after it was cleaned.

best, Bill Woodruff

Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Monday, October 22, 2012 8:55 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 8:18 AM