Can msbuild create an .appxbundle for multiple platforms? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to build an .appxbundle for my Windows 10 UWP Store app using msbuild that contains x86, x64, and ARM platforms. I can do this from VS2015 RTM using the Create App Pacakges wizard, but I get errors when I use msbuild. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

My command line:

msbuild HelloWorld.csproj /p:Configuration=Release;AppxBundle=Always

Errors I'm getting:

"E:\TestApps\HelloWorld.csproj" (default target) (1) ->
        (_CreateBundle target) ->
        C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v14.0\AppxPackage\Microsoft.AppXPackage.Targets(3631,5): error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "E:\TestApps\bin\x64\Release\HelloWorld_1.0.4.0_x64.appx" because it was not found. [E:\TestApps\HelloWorld.csproj]
        C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v14.0\AppxPackage\Microsoft.AppXPackage.Targets(3631,5): error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "E:\TestApps\bin\ARM\Release\HelloWorld_1.0.4.0_ARM.appx" because it was not found. [E:\TestApps\HelloWorld.csproj]

Thanks,
    C
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:01 AM

All replies

• Hello C,

It seems the msbuild cannot create multiple platforms at one time. I tested with your command:

I haven't got any error:

Maybe you just need to set the platform once a time when build.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:50 AM
  • Hi Barry,

Can you check your .appxbundle to make sure it contains x86, x64, and ARM .appx files? I started over with a clean test app (in case I corrupted my old one some how), and I still get the same behavior. Here are my exact steps. Can you spot what might be going wrong?

Steps for clean test app:

1. Launch VS 2015 RTM
    2. File -> New -> Project -> Blank App (Universal Windows)
    3. Right-click on app project -> Store -> Create App Packages...
    4. Set "Generate app bundle" = Always
    5. Select Release(x86), Release(x64), and Release(ARM)
    6. RESULT: VS is able to create an .appxbundle with 3 .appx files inside of it (one for each platform).
    7. Save .csproj changes. Settings below were added.
          <AppxAutoIncrementPackageRevision>True</AppxAutoIncrementPackageRevision>
          <AppxSymbolPackageEnabled>False</AppxSymbolPackageEnabled>
          <AppxBundle>Always</AppxBundle>
          <AppxBundlePlatforms>x86|x64|arm</AppxBundlePlatforms>
    8. Delete obj, bin, and AppPackages folders.
    9. Open Cmd Prompt with Admin privileges.
    10. Run '"C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin\msbuild" E:\TestApps\HelloWorld\HelloWorld.csproj /p:Configuration=Release;AppxBundle=Always'
    11. RESULT: Same errors as my inital forum post.

Thanks for your help.

C

Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:07 PM
  • Hi C,

Have you manage to build the bundle for multiple platforms? I get same errors/behavior using same steps as you.

Regards,

Costin

Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:07 AM