Error while trying to run project: unable to start debugging
    the binding handle is invalid

What can i do?

Thanks for your answers
    Saturday, July 30, 2005 3:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• i tried with "Attach to process" but i get the following error:

Unable to connect to the Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor named <my pc name>. The binding handle is invlaid

But i am debugging a local application, not a remote one
    • Proposed as answer by mahmoud_hasan Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:11 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2005 10:15 AM
  • I have the same problem and no solution for now. :(

July Beta 2 VS 2005 Profesional.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 2:17 PM
  • i tried with august C# express beta (8.0.50727.7) but i'm still unable to debug :(
    Saturday, August 20, 2005 2:49 PM
  • Maybe I found the problem.... The solution configuration is on "Release". the problem is that i cannot change it to debug, cause the combobox in the toolbar is gray. and even from the project properties from the menu i am unable to change to Debug.

I don't know if it is an express problem or express restriction.

Anyone can help?
    Monday, August 22, 2005 1:21 PM
  • I had the same problem, solved it by disabling the "Visual Studio hosting process"
    ("Project" -> "[ProjectName] Properties..". -> "Debug" -> Disable "Enable the Visual Studio hosting process")

Whats the purpose of this "Visual Studio hosting process" ?
    • Proposed as answer by AltoRare Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:23 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2005 9:09 AM
  • thank you very much!! It works!!
    Thursday, August 25, 2005 11:30 AM
  • But the projects seem to run much slower than usual.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:49 AM
  • i don't know if it can help but there's a service called .NET Optimization Runtime Service.... i don't know what it stands for, but maybe it will help :)
    Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:19 PM
  • did anyone find the source of this error or a proper fix?
    here's some more info:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=1c26f151-6455-4117-998a-41f4675fe7e7

Monday, September 12, 2005 9:43 PM
  • This is sounding like some sort of DCOM/RPC configuration issue, but it is hard to know for sure. Luca, you said that you tried with attach, do you mean you tried with 'Tools->Attach To Process'? Which part fails -- listing processes or attaching?

It sounds like everything is experiencing this problem for managed projects. Do you still have this problem for native projects? How about attaching to a native project (example: notepad.exe)

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Friday, September 16, 2005 8:00 PM
  • My own bug report with an alternative workaround(?).. I've gathered some (I think all?) of the posts regarding this binding handle error. Take a look here:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackId=fa98bc3d-609d-4d88-81d6-e737e4e7700e

Thx,

ZAiNT

Friday, September 16, 2005 10:51 PM
  • Thanks for your efforts ZAiNT. Both your work around, and the work around of disabling the Visual Studio hosting process actually have a fairly similar effect on how the debugger works internally.

Since it sounds like several people have run into this, if possible we would like to know what the real problem is. So if you have the time, could you let us know:

If you start a managed process outside the debugger (Ctrl-F5), are you able to attach to it (Debug->Attach To Process)?

If not: At which point does it fail? If you have a SKU that also supports native debugging, are you able to debug the native code in the process?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Saturday, September 17, 2005 12:29 AM
  • If you start a managed process outside the debugger (Ctrl-F5), are you able to attach to it (Debug->Attach To Process)?

No, I start the process (Ctrl-F5) and as soon as I click, Debug->Attach To Process, i get the 'Unable to connect to the Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor named 'COMPUTERNAME'. The binding handle is invalid.'
     messagebox.

'If you have a SKU that also supports native debugging, are you able to debug the native code in the process?'

I'm not really sure what you mean by this so I think you will have to guide me a bit.
    I can see two checkboxes, 'Load DLL exports' and 'Enable RPC debugging' in Options->Debugger->Native. What kind of project do I need to make? And what do I have to do next?

Thx,

ZAiNT
    Saturday, September 17, 2005 3:49 AM
  • ZAiNT,

Thank you so much for your help. To test native debugging:

1) File->New->Project...
    2) Visual C++->Win32 Console Application
    3) F10

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Monday, September 19, 2005 11:58 PM
  • Also, I think I know what is failing. I wrote a tool to prove/disprove my theory. Could you run it on the command line and let me know the output?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/0/7/4078359B-D80C-4EB0-9BA4-9C16E6DCCEA9/wts.msi

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:32 AM
  • I tried running the debugger in a c++ console app. and I didnt receive any errors.

And this is what I get when I run your command line util:

D:\WTS Enumerate Processes>WtsEnumerateProcesses.exe
    Enumerating processes on Windows v5.1.2600 SP 2.0. (256/1)
    Unable to enumerate processes (1702)

Thanks,

ZAiNT
    Tuesday, September 20, 2005 3:12 AM
  • Hi ZAiNT,

Thanks for all your efforts. I think I figured out the problem.

Can you try this:

1) Open the 'Computer Management' administration tool
    2) Go to Services and Applications->Services
    3) Find 'Terminal Services' in the list of Services
    4) Open properties for it

I think you will find that statup type is set to 'Disabled'. Try setting it to 'Manual' (the default), and rebooting your computer.

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:35 PM
  • Hi Gregg,

Everything works great now, attach to process, F5 (debug, any project) and even your command line util, wts ;)

I see now that the Windows Security Alert tray icon has reappeared after I enabled Terminal Services, and that is the reason I disabled it in the first place. D'oh! (Never mess with the unknown!)

Once again a million thanks!

ZAiNT

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 10:19 PM
  • hi, i went and tried to to the whole computer managment thing but turnes out that the Terminal Services where already on manual in my computer.

Now im kinda desperate cause i got finals next week so i'd be thankful if anyone has an answer to this problem besides going back to Visual Studio 2003 (because this one doesn't give me any problem at all in the same computer)
    Thursday, September 22, 2005 2:12 PM
  • I know this is late, but terminal services is the answer - I already had it set to manual too - so I started it.  I was getting this same problem in ASP.NET and now it's gone.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2005 3:24 AM
  • Terminal Services?

TERMINAL SERVICES!

What on earth is MS doing behind the scenes.  This is just dandy.
    It did fix my issue, but .... terminal services required for remote debugging?

Thats rediculous. I hope to see a fix.

Cheers!
    -Sean
    Wednesday, November 2, 2005 9:30 PM
  • This solves the problem: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=133254&siteid=1

Just enable the Terminal Services Service.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2005 4:04 AM
  •  Sean Aitken wrote:
    Terminal Services?

TERMINAL SERVICES!

What on earth is MS doing behind the scenes.  This is just dandy.
    It did fix my issue, but .... terminal services required for remote debugging?

Thats rediculous. I hope to see a fix.

Cheers!
    -Sean

Yeah, definitely something fishy going on there.  
    Thursday, November 17, 2005 10:07 PM
  • I'm no expert on this, but a little guessing and some reading of other posts leads me to conclude that the debug monitor is written to operate like a remote process (via RPC/DCOM). The advantage of this is that it keeps the debugger isolated from the process that you are debugging and also lets you use a different machine to do the debugging, an obvious advantage in many cases. My guess is that the invalid handle problem comes from the fact that a process handle is required to communicate over RPC/DCOM (i.e., bind to some endpoint). Since the terminal service is one end of the communication pair, if the terminal service is not running, then a handle can't be obtained for the debugger's desired endpoint (i.e., the remote terminal), ergo the invalid handle. The interesting thing is that even local debugging must then operate (probably through the local loopback interface, 127.0.0.1) as a make believe remote process. The upshot is that this is not a bug, and can't be "fixed" in any real sense, since is appears to be a fundamental design issue.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2005 7:17 PM
  • thanks for your observation, Science.
    I looked for even ONE explanation for needing TS in order to debug,
    and all I saw was "just enable terminalservices".

How come no one is worried about this or asking MS to explain?

Your answer makes sense to me. Now, if MS will confirm i'de be happy.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 4:54 PM
  • About the Visual Studio Host Process:

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/mihirsolanki/archive/2005/11/06/133588.aspx

Thursday, February 9, 2006 6:56 PM
  • WOO HOO! Worked like a charm!!
    Thursday, March 9, 2006 11:35 PM
  • you can find the reason why here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838202#EBACAAA

Update to move the Terminal Services service to the DCOMlaunch Svchost service

This update moves the Terminal Services service to the DCOMlaunch service in Svchost.exe. This is to help reduce the restart requirements in Windows XP SP2 when you update Windows.

It seems to appear still as "terminal services" instead of something like "DCOM generic launcher".
    Thursday, April 6, 2006 10:12 AM
  • Hi
    Just go to services and start terminal services. This is a simplest solution.

Regards
    Imran

Friday, April 21, 2006 6:56 PM
  • Gregg,

I have visual C#, VB.NET and ASP.NET, all express verisons loaded and have the enterprise architect version VS2003 installed. When trying to open the most simple "hello world" example in Visual C# Express I get the message:  Error while trying to run project : Unable to start debugging.  The binding handle is invalid.  I experience similar messages with all of the express versions with simple programs as examples...that is just simple forms based or web form attaching to SQL 2000 dev.

Obviously all .NET versions start w/ debugging by default.  I've seen workarounds from starting Terminal Services (which makes no sense to me) to what is presented in an earlier post here. It does work but am curious about the cause and getting to the bottom of it. )

Jerry

Thursday, June 8, 2006 2:59 PM
  • well, you saved me
    but I didn't need to reboot, just to start the service
    Sunday, July 2, 2006 8:02 AM
  • wtf does terminal services has to do with debugging? you guys suck. *** you.
    Thursday, August 10, 2006 11:17 AM
  •  luca82 wrote:
    When i try to debug a C# application I get this error:

What can i do?

Thanks for your answers
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 1:16 PM
  •  luca82 wrote:
    i tried with "Attach to process" but i get the following error:

Unable to connect to the Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor named <my pc name>. The binding handle is invlaid

But i am debugging a local application, not a remote one
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 1:21 PM
  • When i try to debug a C# application I get this error:

What can i do?

Thanks for your answers
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 1:36 PM
  • This problem may occur if you are using Database stuff in your project , or you are debuging code on different systems .

Solution:

("Project" -> "[ProjectName] Properties..". -> "Debug" -> Disable "Enable SQL Server debugin")

You can also solve it by unchecking "Enable the Visual Studio hosting process" or by checking "Enable Unmanged code Debuging." but i wont recomend that becuse it slow down the debuging process.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 1:22 PM
  • Hi Guys, thanks for the tip. I verified that last week I stoped the Terminal Services service, and its cause the follow error message: Unable to debug: The binding handle is invalid. I just, start it again and its works fine.

Best Regards,

Tritech Informatica

Monday, November 13, 2006 4:06 PM
  • I tried to run one of my WinForm 2.0 solution in my home machine tonight, but a confusing error message displayed when I pressed the F5 button: "Unable to attach debugger. The binding handle is invalid"... What's the binding handle in VS2005 I did a quick search on the product feedback site and luckily, I found the resolution at here. In short, the solution is to start the Terminal Services in Computer Management panel manually. (Terminal Services hook up with debugger in VS2005) Colt Kwo...
    Thursday, November 23, 2006 6:29 AM
  • THANKS...YOU MADE MY DAY!!!
    Monday, January 15, 2007 3:56 AM
  • You are officially my hero for the day.  I started the Terminal Services and the bindings are now valid.

This worked like a charm!

Thanx Big

CF

:0)

Friday, January 26, 2007 7:20 PM
  • I have the same problem. How does one fix this?

Thursday, February 8, 2007 1:41 AM
  • The suggested solutions seems to be a workaround (you need to do this in every project you like to debug).

The solution for me was (maybe sounds strange but it works):
    Enable the Terminal Services service.

See also:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=105751

Regards, hfrmobile
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:56 AM
  • ("Project" -> "[ProjectName] Properties..". -> "Debug" -> Disable "Enable the Visual Studio hosting process")

This worked for me.....Thanks a lot

regards

Chethan

Monday, April 23, 2007 5:28 AM
  • Thanks a bunch I was really stuck
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:40 PM
  • ia had the same problem with you

and then i try to enable the Terminal Services service.

it really works !!!

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 3:48 AM
  • Yes, it's strange but enabling the Terminal Services is the solution!

Disabling the project setting "Enable the Visual Studio hosting process" is only a workaround which will work only for this project but this solution is marked as answer in this thread. Also a strange situation... But maybe a lot of them only working on one project on one computer

Have a nice day!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 5:35 AM
  • Thank you for your advice. This worked for me.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 11:56 PM
  • Hai friend ,

thanks alot ...i solved that "Error while trying to run project : unable to start debugging the binding handle is invalid" problem

just bcoz of you

Take care

Ramnath R

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:40 AM
  • Terminal Services worked like a charm.  Weird, but seemed to fix the problem.  I went in sequential order on enabling the processes listed on this page and Terminal Services wins my award for excellence in unexplainable Microsoft-influenced behavior.  LOL.

Code on!!!

Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:50 PM
  • I also ran into the same problem and disabling Visual Studio hosting process OR enabling the Terminal Services both worked!?!? I was able to run the debugger using either of these approaches. In the end, I chose to use the Terminal Services approach because I don't want to lose the benefits of the hosting process and I don't want to turn off the hosting process for every single projects. Sounds like some one on the VS.NET need to investigate this issue.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 10:02 PM
  • worked great!!! thanks a lot
    Monday, June 4, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Got same problem in Visual Basic 2005

Everytime I create a new project it enables it by default, even though disabling the "Visual Studio hosting process" works.

VERY ANNOYING!!!

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:45 PM
  • Hi,

I recently decided to download Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition and whenever I try to Run/Debug a project I get that common error "Debugger could not start:  The binding handle is invalid."  I did a LOT of searching on the topic and it always comes back to the same answer..... Terminal Services.  I have opened up 'Services'  but Terminal Services is not listed anywhere in the available services list, so I went to Add/Remove Programs>Windows Components> and couldn't even find terminal services listed in there to be installed either!

I have searched for all the information I can find on terminal services, but so far all I can find is that it requires RPC.  I can't find any file information on it, where I can get it or any helpful information on this problem at all.  Am I missing something? 

Thanks for your time. 

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:43 AM
  • This post sounds like it could be what you're experiencing.  Try it out and let me know if it helps.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=65188&SiteID=1

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:09 PM
  • I did a google on this and the best result that I got was from:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922276

This specified setting Terminal Services (in: Administration Tools -> Services) to Automatic and rebooting the computer (more details in that link).

I set that service to automatic and started it (without rebooting) and the error went away!

Regards

Sunday, November 4, 2007 8:32 AM
  • Great tip.Helped me save a lot of time,Thanks.
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:45 PM
  •  

unable to start debugging the binding handle is invalid.

PLS tell me  how can I sole this problem.

Prasad. 

Friday, December 7, 2007 11:31 AM
  • Your 'Terminal Services' service needs to be running, see:

http://blogs.developerfusion.com/blogs/thushan/archive/2005/11/11/943.aspx

I believe its to do with the API used by the debugger.

Ash

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:44 PM
  • This worked great!  I was able to debug VB programs after making this change... it was a life-saver.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Thanks alot for your post. It solved my problem. I disable the service at first, to save computer resource. Now I know that Visual Studio 2005 needs the service.

Regards,

Chua

Hi ZAiNT,

Can you try this:

I think you will find that statup type is set to 'Disabled'. Try setting it to 'Manual' (the default), and rebooting your computer.

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Monday, April 21, 2008 7:31 AM
  • goto the solution explorer and click the corresponding project i mean right click goto properties in debug u can find a check box build unmanaged code some sort of thing like that clik and run ur project will work ,u hav to do this for every project  u develop ok,if u find some other solution do reply me, ihv the same this is the only solution i get
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 1:11 PM
  • In my case starting the terminal services solved the issue.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 7:48 AM
  • Hi ZAiNT,

Can you try this:

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Hi, Visual Studio 2008 SP1 on Vista SP1 here, Terminal Services service is started (auto) and I still get the invalid handle problem with a C# project.
    Disabling VS host process works for me but that's only a workaround, can't manage to solve the problem. Any help is welcomed.

Thanks!
    Davide
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Here's another cause of this problem: if for any reason your project files on disk are marked read-only this error also pops up!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Thanks it works well.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:25 PM
  • I know this is a fairly old thread, but I've just accidently found a solution to a similar problem and would like to help others avoid the hell i've been through!

SYSTEM: XP with VS2005 using VB.NET

SYMPTOMS: some existing projects will run in debug mode some won't.the ones that won't give not errors anywhere. the green arrow just goes grey and then after a couple of seconds it goes green again.

New projects won't run in debug mode.  they will compile and the release will run.

WHAT I TRIED: I tried unistalling and re-installing VS2005.  I try XP SP3 and VS SP1. I tried windows update. I searched the web for anyone else that could help.

THE ANSWER: fortuneately I found an answer just before I trashed the whole machine.

select project - properties and then the debug tab on the left hand side.

tick the check box for "enable unmanaged code debugging".

WHY: I have no idea. if anyone can tell me why i would really like to know.  Bear in mind that this is a completely new blank VB.NET project with no code or references added.

It looks like VS is treating it's own VB.NET programs as unmanaged!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:54 PM
  • To solve this

1) Open the 'Computer Management' administration tool
    4) Start the service.

You can set the start up type 'Automatic', so that it stays up on next reboot.

Friday, May 18, 2012 10:43 AM
  • thank you

i got solution.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:36 PM