none
Video recording in MTM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently using MTM for manual testing where I need to record the video for a particular test case. I have installed Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 for recording and playback.

But I want to know where this video file gets saved and whether it can be attached in the bug. 

And also when I configured the video recording in the test plan properties pane. It didnt ask about the quality, time frame etc as given in the msdn link below.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd286596.aspx

please help me in this regard.

Thanks,

Shalini.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:07 PM

Answers

• 1. If you have enabled video recording in your test settings, you dont need to attach it to your bug, it should get attached automatically. The file gets saved in the testresults though and can be retrieved from there.

2. You need to click on the 'CONFIGURE' button beside the video option in the test settings, to get the quality/frame rate etc. options

Thanks

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:15 PM

All replies

• Can I get the answer as soon as possible ? I need to freeze this to proceed further.

Thanks,

Shalini 

Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:26 PM
  • 1. If you have enabled video recording in your test settings, you dont need to attach it to your bug, it should get attached automatically. The file gets saved in the testresults though and can be retrieved from there.

2. You need to click on the 'CONFIGURE' button beside the video option in the test settings, to get the quality/frame rate etc. options

Thanks

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi Shalini,

Thank you for your post.

niveditabawa has provided useful information in the reply, you can refer to it.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, March 23, 2012 5:15 AM
  • In additional to @niveditabawa_MSFT, this file saved in the DB of the TFS, so you should care about size.

We are volunteers, if the reply help you mark it as your answer. thanks!!

Blog: http://mohamedradwan.wordpress.com

Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not able to find any options (frame,quality etc) in the video recording Configuration. Do I have to change any settings or install any plugins for getting this enabled? Please help me in this regard.

Thanks,

Shalini.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Hi Shalini,

I think it is in test settings.

Thanks,

Friday, March 30, 2012 1:23 AM
  • In MTM 2010, While we record a manual testing session when the test pass/fail, the video recording file is not getting attached with the test result. Could you please resolve this error as soon as possible.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:47 AM
  • Hi Shalini,

When you record a manual test, the recording will be attaced in test result as **ActionLog.txt, and **ActionLog.html file, not a video file. test runner will playback the test action itself based on these two action log flies.

Thanks,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:02 AM
  • Hi Shalini,

Are you aware of the 'test settings' concept? If yes, could you paste a screenshot of your test settings here?

Thanks

Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Hi Nivedita,

i used encoder 4 with VS2010 SP1 to create a video recording for my manual tests ; when i go to test results, i see the .trmx file (under comment, it says recorded media for this ) - this file is only 1KB ; also, there is another file  with extension .xesc (under comment, this says Screen Capture) and this one is 2.3 MB.

My question is : how do i play back this file (as in, if someone else just goes to test results and tries to open this file to playback all the user actions, how do i accomplish that)

thx for ur help & time,

amit

Regards, Amit

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Hi,

just wanted to let u know i figured out - since I am using dual monitor display, for some reason, it did the recording of the non-used monitors' display; therefore, it was blank ... i used moved the webapp window onto that monitor - and the playback worked like a charm :) !!

thanx again,

amit

Regards, Amit

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:20 PM