none
How to run .Net applications on non-window platform like MAC or Linux RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to run a .Net application on a non-window platform like Linux or Mac.

How can I do this? Is there any .Net Framework particularly for Linux/Mac?

Any inputs on this will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Vikas
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please check http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

And here is good article about this: http://www.linux.com/articles/53582

Thanks

Friday, January 25, 2008 3:38 AM
  • Hi Figo,

Thanks for the reply.

I went through mono-project and also checked the download size of mono for Mac OX and Linux machines. The download size is more than 50MB. Downloading that big file on client machines will be a big problem. I guess this file includes development tools and some other unwanted stuff also. Is there any smaller downloadable file around 3-4 MB, just the runtime framework (like .Net framework) that enables to run .Net application on non windows platform.  

Thanks n regards,

Vikas

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Hi Vikas

Even .NET Framework wouldn't be such small as 3-4 MB, you must mean the .NET Framework bootstrapper package which could be so small.

.NET Framework bootstrapper itself doesn't include the full package to install, it will download the stuff necessary for installation from net working during the installation, that is to say we should keep online while bootstrapper is runnnig.

Thanks

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:57 AM
  • Hi frnd,

This is my first Post in this forum, I have the same problem as Vikas M had.

I developed a application in Dotnet(C#) 2005 and successfully created a msi installer for windows and its working fine. but now i have to Create a setup for MAC and LINUX.

so i searched internet and found MONO.

Now i downloaded Mono framework, Mono Develop 2.2.1 and installed.

My program runs in Monodevelop but i dont know how to create a setup from MonoDevelop. this is my problem. please help me.

Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:39 AM
  • Vikas,

I'm on the same boat! Were you able to find the answer?

Thanks

Rasheed

Saturday, April 17, 2010 2:42 AM
  • Hi frnd,

This is my first Post in this forum, I have the same problem as Vikas M had.

I developed a application in Dotnet(C#) 2005 and successfully created a msi installer for windows and its working fine. but now i have to Create a setup for MAC and LINUX.

so i searched internet and found MONO.

Now i downloaded Mono framework, Mono Develop 2.2.1 and installed.

My program runs in Monodevelop but i dont know how to create a setup from MonoDevelop. this is my problem. please help me.

Hi

this is how to create a setup for linux from mono.
    http://go-mono.com/monotools/Package.aspx

Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:19 AM
  • Hello friends..

I have an c# application working in windows. I need to create a MAC version for the same application. 

By installing mono for mac framework and compiling the code again . will it work ? will I be able to create a set up for MAC OSX ? 

Thursday, June 3, 2010 11:01 AM
  • My client application contains functions for reading details from wifi driver using wlan api. In Mono migration analyzer I got result as

Calling Method Method with [MonoTodo] Reason
    NetworkInterface get_NetworkInterface () NetworkInterface[] NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces () Only works on Linux and Windows

Thursday, June 3, 2010 11:25 AM
  • what about native development with c++ and vs2010? is that possible?
    Monday, September 13, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Hi,

I am also facing the same problem.... Do we need to install mono on the mac machine or we can create a set up for the mac from our windows machine...

Regards,

Gaurav

Friday, October 15, 2010 10:03 AM
  • I have a program which should work on Windows and Mac. For Windows, I added new project, created setup and got .exe file which works excellent. The problem is Mac.

First I installed Mono and wrote in terminal 'mono setup.exe'. It doesn't work - it says that the CIL image isn't valid. If I get some simple .exe file and write 'mono simpleExe.exe' in terminal, it works fine.

I also tried creating a .dmg file but I didn't know which files to put in it. All I have is bunch of .cs files, .exe etc.

I made a .command file with 'mono setup.exe' written in it, and of course it didn't work.

I mustn't use WINE.

Is there a way for creating a setup that will work on Mac? My client should get my setup and with double click should be able to install it on Mac.

Friday, September 30, 2011 12:38 PM
  • I ran the programs I develop in .NET on Linux/Map like this.

"mono MyApp.exe".

Monday, May 27, 2013 4:40 PM