none
Visual Studio and SQL Server on Windows 7 RC

General discussion

• Visual Studio and SQL Server on Windows 7 RC

When attempting to install SQL Server 2008 RTM or SQL Server 2005 RTM/SP1/SP2 on Windows 7 RC, you will receive a warning dialog stating that SQL Server has known compatibility issues with this version of Windows.  Since SQL Server is redistributed by Visual Studio, installations in which the user selects to install SQL Server along with Visual Studio will be affected.  The issues that trigger the compatibility warning have been fixed in SQL Server 2008 SP1 and SQL Server 2005 SP3.

The recommended workaround is to install Visual Studio with SQL Server and then upgrade to SQL Server 2008 SP1 or SQL Server 2005 SP3 using Windows Update.  You can also choose to install SQL Server 2008 SP1 before installing Visual Studio. 

The steps below are shown for installing Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition with SP1 plus SQL Server 2008 on Windows 7 RC:

1.       Download Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition with SP1 from the Express download page.

2.       During setup, make sure to select “Microsoft SQL Server 2008” from the “Optional Components” page.

3.       As soon as SQL Server 2008 installation begins, you will receive a compatibility warning dialog.

4.       Select Run Program to continue the installation.

5.       You will then be presented with a second compatibility warning dialog when running “setup.exe”.  Select Run Program again.

6.       After installation has completed, launch Windows Update.

7.       Select Check for updates in the left-hand pane.   

8.       Under the optional updates, you should see a checkbox for “Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1”.

9.       If for some reason, you don’t see “Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1” listed as an optional update, please go here to download the service pack.

10.   Check the box next to the entry and select OK.   

11.   Windows update will then install SQL Server 2008 SP1.

12.   Once installation has completed, you may be prompted to reboot.

More Links/Information

Download SQL Server 2005 SP3

Download SQL Server 2008 SP1

If you’re installing SQL Server 2005 Express (any Express edition) or SQL Server 2008 Express (Runtime Only) you can just download the SQL Server Express package containing the latest service pack. This may seem counter-intuitive if you already have some Express package, but installing it and then downloading and applying service pack is going to take longer than downloading a package already containing the latest service pack and installing it. Plus, in case of SQL Server 2008 Express, the service pack package is actually bigger than the SQL Server Express package, since the service pack is shared with all SQL Server 2008 editions.

Download SQL Server 2008 Express SP1

Download SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3

Download SQL Server 2005 Express Advanced Edition SP3

Download SQL Server 2005 Express Toolkit Edition SP3

If need to install SQL Server 2008 Express edition other than Runtime Only on Windows 7 RC and need to avoid the warning dialogs, you can create SQL Server 2008 with Service Pack 1 package yourself. Please follow steps described by Peter Saddow here.

Creating a merged (slipstreamed) drop containing SQL Server 2008 RTM + Service Pack 1

Remember to mark the best replies as answers!
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:48 PM

All replies

• Thanks, I was afraid to try Windows 7 RC  but I think this makes me brave enough to try it.   It just takes a few hours to do that whole installation thing and then backup my partition with CloneZilla .

What I am going to try is:

1.  Install clean system of Windows 7 RC.  Get all updates.
    2.   Assuming .NET 3.5 is already installed on Windows 7:
              Install Visual Studio 2008  without SQL server option
    3.   Reboot
    4.  If any SQL servers exists remove them .
    5.   Remove any stray Program Files/SQL Server directories and reboot again.
    6.    Install SQL 2008 Express
    7.   run the aspnet_regsql.exe  thingy
    8.   Edit the machine.config  file for Visual Studio so that it knows how to find the new SQL 2008.  

<CONNECTIONSTRINGS>  
     <ADD name="LocalSqlServer" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" connectionString=
    "data source=LOCAL\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;database=aspnetdb" /> </CONNECTIONSTRINGS>

9.   Backup partition with CloneZilla

• Edited by Djangofan Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:36 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Thank you for the guidance provided.

On Win7, a newer version of the .Net Framework is included as on my Visual Studio 2008 install dvd which doesn't have SP1 included.
    Should I just install the full Visual Studio and let it do what it determines to install, and then apply SP1 on it afterwards?

Do you also have experience with installing Visual Studio 2005 on Win7? I read it will also prompt for compatability issues, is it an option to apply the Visual Studio 2005 SP1 update for Vista which is provided by MS?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:10 AM
  • When I Installed VS 2008 professional edition on my win7 RC I am in a big trouble. Earlier when I use to install the trial version on XP or Vista than when I start to modify/Repair setup for VS2008 than I had a update option where I can fill in my VS2008 Pro edition Key which I bought online. This simply updates my VS2008 trial to VS2008 Pro Edition Full. Now When I try Modify/Repair setup I don't have such option. It don't show up update window and I can't fill in the key. I can't afford to download the full version due to my bandwidth issues. And even I tried installing VS2008 SP1 but still the same issue persists. Please Help me to get out of this trouble. This would definitely help a lot...
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:56 PM
  • I didnt have any trouble installing Visual studio 2008 on my Windows 7 box BUT  installing the VS SP1 was definitely required.   Also, I would recommend that you do steps #7 and #8 (from above) AFTER you installed the SP1.   I didn't have any problems with unstalling the SQL Compact Edition either.   Right now the ONLY SQL Server on my machine is the 2008 Express edition.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:09 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem.. any progress?
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 9:20 AM
  • I've recently installed Windows 7 RTM (x64), Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008 (x64) on a new computer. I ran into some problems but fortunately the community has done some great work developing solutions. 

After installing the OS and getting it to full Windows update compliance both SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 failed to install. SQL Server 2008 failed to install because the setup check returns that a system restart is required because of a registry value that needs clearing prior to installing SQL Server. Once cleared the SQL Server 2008 install and SP1 update went smoothly and functions perfectly.

Here is how to do that:

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt and open as Administrator then type"regedit.exe" hit enter

Navigate to the following registry location in the left panel:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Open (double click) the PendingFileRenameOperations (aa type file listed on the right) and clear all values from the file. close the registry editor and do not restart your computer

Install SQL Server 2008 and reboot

Repeat the regedit process for the update to SQL Server 2008 SP1

Install the "en_sql_server_2008_sp1_x64.exe"

Installing Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 RTM (x64)

An issue with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) client in Windows 7 RTM is causing Explorer and some MSI-based installers to stop working properly.

To solve this problem, follow these steps:

1.Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Accessories.

2.Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.  In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.

3.In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f

4.Press Enter to install the solution.

5.If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator in step two.

Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:46 PM
  • I've recently installed Windows 7 RTM (x64), Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008 (x64) on a new computer. I ran into some problems but fortunately the community has done some great work developing solutions. 

After installing the OS and getting it to full Windows update compliance both SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 failed to install. SQL Server 2008 failed to install because the setup check returns that a system restart is required because of a registry value that needs clearing prior to installing SQL Server. Once cleared the SQL Server 2008 install and SP1 update went smoothly and functions perfectly.

Here is how to do that:

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt and open as Administrator then type"regedit.exe" hit enter

Navigate to the following registry location in the left panel:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Open (double click) the PendingFileRenameOperations (aa type file listed on the right) and clear all values from the file. close the registry editor and do not restart your computer

Install SQL Server 2008 and reboot

Repeat the regedit process for the update to SQL Server 2008 SP1

Install the "en_sql_server_2008_sp1_x64.exe"

Installing Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 RTM (x64)

An issue with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) client in Windows 7 RTM is causing Explorer and some MSI-based installers to stop working properly.

To solve this problem, follow these steps:

1.Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Accessories.

2.Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.  In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.

3.In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f

4.Press Enter to install the solution.

5.If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator in step two.

Best Solution Ever!!!!
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:22 PM

In Windows 7 RTM x86 everything works out of the box, no registry tweaks needed
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:11 AM
  • Alternative is to use a command line to run the setup.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259.aspx
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Visual Studio and SQL Server on Windows 7 RC

When attempting to install SQL Server 2008 RTM or SQL Server 2005 RTM/SP1/SP2 on Windows 7 RC, you will receive a warning dialog stating that SQL Server has known compatibility issues with this version of Windows.  Since SQL Server is redistributed by Visual Studio, installations in which the user selects to install SQL Server along with Visual Studio will be affected.  The issues that trigger the compatibility warning have been fixed in SQL Server 2008 SP1 and SQL Server 2005 SP3.

The recommended workaround is to install Visual Studio with SQL Server and then upgrade to SQL Server 2008 SP1 or SQL Server 2005 SP3 using Windows Update.  You can also choose to install SQL Server 2008 SP1 before installing Visual Studio. 

The steps below are shown for installing Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition with SP1 plus SQL Server 2008 on Windows 7 RC:

1.       Download Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition with SP1 from the Express download page.

2.       During setup, make sure to select “Microsoft SQL Server 2008” from the “Optional Components” page.

3.       As soon as SQL Server 2008 installation begins, you will receive a compatibility warning dialog.

4.       Select Run Program to continue the installation.

5.       You will then be presented with a second compatibility warning dialog when running “setup.exe”.  Select Run Program again.

6.       After installation has completed, launch Windows Update.

7.       Select Check for updates in the left-hand pane.   

8.       Under the optional updates, you should see a checkbox for “Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1”.

9.       If for some reason, you don’t see “Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1” listed as an optional update, please go here to download the service pack.

10.   Check the box next to the entry and select OK.   

11.   Windows update will then install SQL Server 2008 SP1.

12.   Once installation has completed, you may be prompted to reboot.

More Links/Information

Download SQL Server 2005 SP3

Download SQL Server 2008 SP1

If you’re installing SQL Server 2005 Express (any Express edition) or SQL Server 2008 Express (Runtime Only) you can just download the SQL Server Express package containing the latest service pack. This may seem counter-intuitive if you already have some Express package, but installing it and then downloading and applying service pack is going to take longer than downloading a package already containing the latest service pack and installing it. Plus, in case of SQL Server 2008 Express, the service pack package is actually bigger than the SQL Server Express package, since the service pack is shared with all SQL Server 2008 editions.

Download SQL Server 2008 Express SP1

Download SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3

Download SQL Server 2005 Express Advanced Edition SP3

Download SQL Server 2005 Express Toolkit Edition SP3

If need to install SQL Server 2008 Express edition other than Runtime Only on Windows 7 RC and need to avoid the warning dialogs, you can create SQL Server 2008 with Service Pack 1 package yourself. Please follow steps described by Peter Saddow here.

Creating a merged (slipstreamed) drop containing SQL Server 2008 RTM + Service Pack 1

Remember to mark the best replies as answers!

Rahul Gupta |EMAIL REMOVED|
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 8:54 AM
  • I am just trying to install Visual Studio 2008 on a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine and tried the above and it didn't work for me.  Does this work for installing Visual Studio 2008?? 
    Friday, November 06, 2009 3:18 AM
  • I've installed Windows 7 x64 recently, and SQL Server 2008 works fine without Service Pack 1 so far.
    However, I did receive a compatibility warning when installing SQL Server 2008.
    Question is: Do I really need patch the Service Pack 1 for SQL Server 2008?

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:13 AM
  • hey guys me too had the same problem while installing sql server 2008 in windows 7 x64,
    but thank god i followed the instruction given in the following link and im able to install it successfully.
    i hope this might be helpful
    http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/dba/Steps_to_Install_SQL_Server_2008_p1.aspx
    Friday, February 19, 2010 12:14 AM
  • Me: Windows 7 x64
    f o u r p r e p a s s e s @ g m a i l . c o m

Installed Visual Basic Express Edition SP1 without any additional SQL junk. It installed without any problems whatsoever.

However,

When trying to start a new project I get the dreaded REQUESTED REGISTRY ACCESS NOT ALLOWED. Mind you that Microsoft 'S' tool does not work...ran that, rebooted...no luck. I tried everything else...running VBE2008 regular and as admin...no juice, even tried comparability modes. Tried Vista fixes and it messed up my computer...had to do a system restore via the boot up F8. I even uninstalled and reinstalled VBE...no luck.

VBE2008 is not going to allow you to create projects until Microsoft finally gets off their butts to fix this permissions problem. If you ask me, it's stupid of them to even take things this far...just to develop small applications. Shame on Microsoft for releasing W7x64 and not even testing something big like VBE2008 on it.

SOLUTION?

I suppose one can try to run a virtual OS in W7 but at that rate, now one would have to investigate if virtual OS programs will run in the first place on W7...but who really wants to go through all that trouble when computing is supposed to be a simple pleasure...apparently not with Microsoft.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 1:53 AM
  • I've installed Windows 7 x64 recently, and SQL Server 2008 works fine without Service Pack 1 so far.
    However, I did receive a rip compatibility warning when installing SQL Server 2008.
    Question is: Do I really need patch the Service Pack 1 for SQL Server 2008?

So, the compatibility issue will still occur to Win7 official version?
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 8:14 AM
  • What about VS  2010 express?  Is not it the latest version?  I got my machine with the win7 already installed it is WIN7 Professional 64 bit 2.4 GHz processor, 4GB RAM, 450 GB available on hard drive.  I notice that no one is appears to be using VS 2010 Express I assume that is because they were already using 2008 and choose to stay with that framework.  I am just learning ASP.net and trying to use VS VWD and C# as per tutorial that uses 2008.  Is there a more recent tutorial?   It seems as though PHP MYSQl and WAMP server was much much easier to install and use.  Does anyone understand the need for all of this hassle to install and use Microsoft software and Microsoft Framework on the latest Microsoft OS with a reasonable equipped PC?  It just does not seem to make sense to me.  But I am definitely not the genius in the room.  I appreciate any feed back anyone may have.

Thanks,

MIKE E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Saturday, September 04, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Installing SQL Server 2005 on Windows 7 is not an easy install and the guide above is out of date (SP4 is out for example).

For an up to date install guide look here - http://www.geakeit.co.uk/installations/installing-microsoft-sql-server-2005-on-windows-7-32-bit-and-64-bit.html

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:28 AM