none
VS2015 - Build Installer Project - keeps loosing Registry Setting

Question

• We upgraded projects from VS2010 to 2015, as VS2015 does not support nstaller projects we made the following changes to our build server environment

1. Installed the msi addin for Visual Studio 2015 from https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f1cc3f3e-c300-40a7-8797-c509fb8933b9

2. applied the following Registry setting

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0_Config\MSBuild\EnableOutOfProcBuild (DWORD:0)

The registry setting was applied whilst logged on as a known Domain User account which is a member of the Administrators Group on the build Server, this is the same account that the TFS Build Service runs as.

Everything works fine, but at what appears to be random intervals of a week or two we get the following errors

ERROR: An error occurred while validating.  HRESULT = '8000000A'

which are an indication that the Registry setting has gone missing. 

The last time I put the registry setting back whilst logged on as myself (not the build user) and that in fact fixed the build.

We now have a very fragile automated build process which seems to break because this registry setting goes missing.

Monday, October 17, 2016 12:59 PM

All replies

• Hi MV1945,

As far as I know, we need to edit HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0_Config\MSBuild\EnableOutOfProcBuild to have a DWORD of 0 to avoid the issue.

For more information, please refer to:

http://colinsalmcorner.com/post/building-vs-2015-setup-projects-in-team-build

http://www.kunal-chowdhury.com/2016/07/visual-studio-error-code-8000000A.html#MFBP5ajacUgz88H7.97

Best regards,

Cole Wu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:39 AM
  • Hi Cole, thanks for response yes we have put that registry entry in and everything works fine for a week or sometimes 2 weeks then the registry entry disappears. We put it back and everything's OK.   
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:32 AM
  • Hi MV1945,

>> thanks for response yes we have put that registry entry in and everything works fine for a week or sometimes 2 weeks then the registry entry disappears

I would suggest that you could write a windows service, which check if the registry entry disappears. if it disappears, then write it back. For more information about windows service, please refer to:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zt39148a(v=vs.110).aspx

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:27 AM
  • Hi Cole,

exactly the same here. And I think, it could not be a solution to implement a Windows service. What could be reason for this effect? Why are the registry settings disappear? There must be a better solution for this.

Friday, October 28, 2016 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

We are seeing the same thing.  

What we observed is that any change to the Visual Studio Installation removes the registry key.

However, it appears this is not the only instance when it is being removed.  Just yesterday we noticed the key get deleted and we were not doing anything on the box.  Very Odd!

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Possible cause of issue...

We have not had the issue for a good few months now, this has not happened since I disabled the Scheduled task that was set up on the build machine by the msi addin for Visual Studio 2015. This is called "VSIX Auto Update 14" and was initially scheduled to run daily around 2am.

Over the past 2 weekends I updated our 2 build servers with VS Updates and enabled this task and ran it. The builds following this failed with 

ERROR: An error occurred while validating.  HRESULT = '8000000A'

I strongly suspect that this task clears the registry although it may have been the VS Updates I applied as well.

I noticed that MS are not releasing updates via WSUS and say that VS2015 updated are done in-app. By this they mean the UI, unfortunately the build machine is run headless, we have no way of automating these updates.   

Monday, December 04, 2017 8:41 AM
  • This turned out to be someone trying to be helpful.  We are using Jenkins to run build scripts. There were folks that had encountered this issue before, and in their scripts they were adding the key, then removing it to restore the build server back to what it was before they ran their script. So player A would set the build server up with the key.... then random script would set it again, then remove it... leaving it in an unset state. The EnableOutOfProcBuild setting is working as intended. The key disappearing was not due to VS or Microsoft.

• Proposed as answer by _Andy__ Monday, December 04, 2017 2:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by _Andy__ Monday, December 04, 2017 2:20 PM
    Monday, December 04, 2017 2:19 PM