Claims-aware templates missing in Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

Can someone please help me with the issue I have described here

I am not a developer but rather a Windows Server engineer (among other things) trying to build a simple ASP.NET claims ware app (following a blog post I found), but after installed every thing in my LAB I am missing the Visual Studio templates I need. All the steps I a have taken are described in the above link,

Any advise most welcome as I think I am missing something quite simple

Thanks in advance

Ernie 

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• The statement that WIF as a standalone is superseded by .NET 4.5 is correct but that only applies to the C# classes, not to the SDK.

Assuming you have WIF 1.0 (3.5) enabled and have downloaded the SDK, did you select:

New web site

Visual C#

.NET Framework 4?

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Hello nzpcmad1

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

I believe I have tried that particular combination you mentioned above, however I cannot be sure therefore I will try again tonight (test LAB is at home) and update the post accordingly.

Thanks

Ernie

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:25 AM
  • Hello

I checked my setup as you suggested above, but the claims-ware app template is still not show up in the list of templates. If I select the Online templates  then do a search for CL for  example I get several types of template listed but none claims aware , so I know the online template search function is working. 

The version of VS I have installed in 2015 Professional any more ideas please?

Thanks

Ernie

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:03 PM
  • OK - what are you trying to do i.e. why do you want a claims-aware app?

What is your use case?

What IDP are you trying to connect to - ADFS or what?

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Hello nzpcmad1

Thanks for the reply, 

I am in the process of learning AD FS and have setup a LAB with a couple of AD FS Servers (in different AD forests) which connect to each other OK,

Next I want a simple claims aware app so I get move my learning forward. 

basically create setup a replaying party connection to the end points of the claims aware app (I believe that is how you do it) setup some claims mapping and possible transformations etc... and check User Bob for example can access the claims aware app from the Accounts AD forest when the IIS claims aware app is running in the Resource forest.

I am not a C# or VS guy (fine with PowerShell etc.) any way I say the blog post (as detailed on the link in the first post) which explained how to create a simple claims aware app for testing AD FS (basically when I want to do). The blogs speaks about selecting New > Web Site > Claims-aware ASP.net WEB site  from the templates but I cannot locate this or any other claims based template/s hence my issue.

Thanks again for your input

Ernie

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:57 PM
  • Dump all that stuff :-)

The new way of doing it is via "Change Authentication".

Refer: Use the On-Premises Organizational Authentication Option (ADFS) With ASP.NET in Visual Studio 2013.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:07 PM
  • Just to add - if you want to get your head around this stuff:

An Introduction to Claims

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:13 PM
  • Thanks very much nzpcmad1

I will take a look at the above links :)

Ernie

Thursday, May 19, 2016 5:58 AM
  • Please use the following forum for ADFS related topics: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=ADFS

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:18 PM