none
How to create a dropdown list with checkboxes in Excel

Question

• Hi all,

I am have win7 and Excel 2010.  I like to ask if there is a way for me to dropdown list in a cell with checkboxes for each of the available items, in a way that is very much like when I create a filter.

The reason is that I need it to be dynamic, so that based on what the user have selected in the dropdown using the checkboxes, I can show/hide data.  The other reason is this would like the list to grow or shrink dynamically with little maintenance.  Is this feature feasible whether through the menu on the ribbon or programmatically?

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I like to ask if there is a way for me to dropdown list in a cell with checkboxes for each of the available items, in a way that is very much like when I create a filter.<<

I'm afraid there is no way to insert checkboxes into the items of Combobox in Excel.

>>based on what the user have selected in the dropdown using the checkboxes, I can show/hide data.<<

Since you just want to multiple select in combobox, you can consider using List box Control to replace combobox as followed. You can set its multiSelect property with "1-fmMultiSelectMulti" to achieve the goal.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by GerryStilton Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:03 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>I like to ask if there is a way for me to dropdown list in a cell with checkboxes for each of the available items, in a way that is very much like when I create a filter.<<

I'm afraid there is no way to insert checkboxes into the items of Combobox in Excel.

>>based on what the user have selected in the dropdown using the checkboxes, I can show/hide data.<<

Since you just want to multiple select in combobox, you can consider using List box Control to replace combobox as followed. You can set its multiSelect property with "1-fmMultiSelectMulti" to achieve the goal.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by GerryStilton Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:03 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:52 AM
  • Luna,

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, similar to your suggested idea.

Thanks,

Gerry

Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Hi, You can do it but not without VBA. Here is the complete solution using VBA:

'enjoy

http://www.vlsiip.com/exceltips.html

Saturday, November 18, 2017 7:29 AM