Is there any way not to dowload files from TFS if the files are already in local folder (copied from other workspace but no changes in files) but not bind to source control.

Question

• Hi Experts,

I need to know if there is a way or option not to download files which are already in my local folder which is mapped to a workspace.

Here is the scenario:-

1. I have a workspace which is mapped to a local folder c:\local1 and this folder has some files. Source Control location is $main\local1.

2. Now I copied the file from local folder and pasted to c:\local2 and mapped this new folder to another workspace but same source control location like $main\local1

3. Note, I did not do any get operation in step 2 hence my local files are still not bind to SC.

4. Now I used command tf get /remap for c:\local2 workspace to get only the files which are new in $main\local1 and it download the files which are already in my local folder local2.

As per remap option, it seems to be fine as my files were not bind to source control. BUT

What we need that even though the files are not bind to source control yet, TFS should automatically detect that files are already in local folder and there is no change in those files. Hence TFS should not download those files again and just bind with SC. This seems to be possible in Perforce using FLUSH.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,

Anurag

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:41 AM

All replies

• If you just want to change the local path, please refer to these steps below:

1.        Create a new folder (e.g. local2)
    2.        Edit the same workspace to change c:\local1 to c:\local2 and click No when asking to get the latest files from version control to update workspace
    3.        Run “tf get /remap” command in c:\local2, then it will move files from c:\local1 to c:\local2 (won’t download the same files from server again)

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 17, 2017 5:12 AM
  • Great. I will try it.

What if I already copied the files in to this new folder?

Thanks,

Anurag Verma

Saturday, November 18, 2017 4:01 AM
  • Hi Anurag,

It will move all files from C:\loal1 to C:\local2, include files that have been copied to the new folder.

Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 2:26 AM