none
How to route Service Metadata HTTP GET requests using WCF 4.0? RRS feed

• Question

• I’m building an internet facing router service that can route service messages to internal services. To avoid overhead of maintaining metadata of internal services, I created a metadata endpoint at the router to allow services themselves to provide the metadata. The problem with this approach is, WCF 4.0 Routing Service cannot route REST requests which means it cannot route HTTP GET metadata requests.

Has anyone here created a router that can route HTTP GET requests as well? Thanks in advance

Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:21 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately I don't think routing service supports routing metadata. You'll have to build your own. For example, you can browse your internal service's metadata in a browser, copy the content of all relavent files (WSDL, XSD, etc.), modify the addresses so they point to the routing service, and finally serve those files from your routing service as static files.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Windows Azure Technical Forum Support Team Blog
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:51 AM
  • Thankyou for your reply and my apologies for the delayed reply.

The solution I currently have for clients, that use svcutil.exe to retrieve metadata, is to configure a metadata exchange endpoint on the router. This would enable the router to then forward requests to internal metadata exchange endpoints.

For HTTP GET metadata requests, I am trying to avoid a scenario where we would have to maintain static metadata files, as this would be an issue when the number of internal services increase.

Do you think we could create a custom router/behavior that can be used to route HTTP GET requests? Or, probably a custom web page that can be used to route the requests?

Thanking you in advance.

Monday, February 7, 2011 5:41 AM