none
Lifetime of ShelveSet used for Gated Checkin

Question

• I am testing the use of Gated Check-ins (after reading http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd794776.aspx) and I have noticed that:

- when a gated check-in succeeds, the related shelveset is deleted as expected (not useful anymore as the changes are checked in). That's ok.

- but when the gated check-in fails, the related shelveset is kept. I can then "Unshelve Changes" (even if I did use the option "Preserve my changes locally"). In such case, I would expect the shelveset to be deleted. But it's not the case ???!!! Even if I uncheck the option "Preserve shelveset on server". That's not clean :/

Am I missing something ? If this is correct, our TFS is going to be quickly polluted with thousands of useless shelvesets. What can we do to keep it "clean" ?

At least, such shelvesets should be deleted when one deletes the build. However, only Details, Drop, Test Results, Label and Symbols are deleted :/

IMO, unchecking the option "Preserve shelveset on server" during a "Unshelve Changes" should delete the shelveset. I did check twice using Team Foundation Sidekicks: it's not the case. In addition, I didn't find anything on the expected behavior in the MSDN.

Is there actually a bug ?

V.

Valéry Letroye
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:32 PM

Answers

All replies