none
System.Web.pdb not loaded when debugging with IntelliTrace RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am trying to start debugging from an exception that is in an IntelliTrace file loaded in VS 2012 Update 1. However, anytime VS starts debugging I always get an error that some pdb file could not be loaded. Depending on the exception I've seen mscorlib.pdb, System.Data.pdb, or System.Web.pdb could not be loaded.

In the case of System.Web.pdb, VS lists C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_64\System.Web\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.dll as the "Original Location"

For my symbol server paths, I have "Microsoft Symbol Servers", "http://referencesource.microsoft.com/symbols", and even a local symbol folder from where I installed the .Net 4 framework source from http://referencesource.microsoft.com/netframework.aspx.

If I click on the "Browse and find System.Web.pdb..." link and go to the symbol cache folder on my box where the "System.Web.pdb" folder is (see below for exact file paths) it says that "A matching symbol file was not found in this folder."

C:\Users\<myaccount>\AppData\Local\Temp\SymbolCache\System.Web.pdb\9B938B3819C746ECA27BBE0AAE4D5C571

C:\Users\<myaccount>\AppData\Local\Temp\SymbolCache\System.Web.pdb\9FEFF364233149B6BE56A0E66AA54CD61

Can anybody tell me why on earth VS does not recognize the pdb files when they are clearly being downloaded from the symbol servers or if this is a versioning issue how I get the right version?

• Edited by bartsipes Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:56 PM typo
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:45 PM

Answers

• Hi bartsipes,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Just to make this issue clearly, which kind of app are you debugging? It is the web app, am I right?

If you create a simple app, whether it has this issue? How about debugging it with “Start without debugging”? If it still has the issue, I’m afraid that it is not the VS debugger issue, I suggest you post this issue to the specific development forum, for example, you could post it to the ASP.net forum if it is related to the ASP.net.

A matching symbol file was not found in this folder.

Actually I have met the similar issue before.

If the symbols really didn't match. I’m afraid that I didn’t have a good solution. You could check this blog “Why does Visual Studio require debugger symbol files to *exactly* match the binary files that they were built with?” and it would help us understand this issue.

You can take a backup before debugging it with the following steps.

1. Clean and Rebuild the solution and tried debugging. Maybe you could delete the Debug folder in your project, and then build your app, debug it.

2. Restarted my machine and Reopen your VS as the admin, check it.

3. How about clearing Temp files?

4. To make sure that it is not the VS settings, try to reset your VS settings, check it. Please also remove all add-ins in your VS.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 1, 2013 7:35 AM