none
why not support shared project to vsix project? RRS feed

• Question

• there is no 'shared project' tab in 'add reference' on vsix project.
    • Moved by CoolDadTx Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:08 PM Extensibility related
    Monday, May 1, 2017 4:45 PM

All replies

• What are you talking about?
    Monday, May 1, 2017 7:21 PM
  • I think that it is a technical limitation (maybe because of the less frequent usage of VSIX projects). The usual practical alternative is Class Library. You can also consider adding the common class files (.cs) using Add Existing Item dialog and selecting the “Add as link” option in Add button.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:59 AM
  • Shared projects don't make sense in the context of a VSIX. A VSIX is an installer. In order to install something using VSIX you have to add it as an asset. One of the options in the asset list is another project in the solution. When you do that it adds a node for the project in the references. The properties that control how that assembly is installed via the VSIX are properties on that reference. Using shared projects wouldn't make sense here. Is there some specific scenario that you're trying to solve such that the standard VSIX process isn't working? Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:05 PM
  • Shared projects actually *can* make sense for a VSIX project.

Imagine a solution that has several projects in it, one of which is a VSIX project. If you have code that you want to consume from *all* of the projects, including the VSIX project, you should be able to use a shared project for this scenario.

It annoys me when I have to use shortcuts to add that common code to a VSIX project, when shared projects were created for exactly that scenario, sharing code.

Yann Duran - Co-Author of Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 - Author of the "A Reluctant Web Developer" Blog

Friday, May 5, 2017 10:23 PM