none
Visual Studio 2013 unattended installation fails when deployed via SCCM 2012

Question

• Hi,

This is essentially a continuation of this thread here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4db66392-1d67-42bd-8775-9d8ff829724c/deploying-vs-2013-test-professional-with-sccm-2012?forum=vssetup

I'm trying to deploy Visual Studio 2013 Professional via SCCM 2012, and have run into the same issue. SCCM reports error code 0x643(1603) and tracking this back through the logs it is caused by this (domain obfuscated):

MSI (s) (A4:C8) [16:48:00:964]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=CreateUser,,)
    MSI (s) (A4:C8) [16:48:00:965]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CreateUser,ActionType=11265,Source=BinaryData,Target=**********,CustomActionData=**********)
    MSI (s) (A4:4C) [16:48:00:979]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI2586.tmp, Entrypoint: CreateUser
    CreateUser:  Entering CreateUser in C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI2586.tmp, version 3.7.1701.0
    CreateUser:  Failed to add user: SYSTEM, domain DOMAIN to group: Performance Log Users, domain:  with error 0x8007056b.  Attempting to use Active Directory
    CreateUser:  Error 0x80005000: Failed to add user DOMAIN/SYSTEM to group 'WinNT://Localhost/Performance Log Users'.
    CreateUser:  Error 0x80005000: failed to add user: SYSTEM to group Performance Log Users
    Error 26403.Failed to add user to group.  (-2147463168   SYSTEM   Performance Log Users   )
    MSI (s) (A4!B4) [16:48:01:103]: Product: Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013 -- Error 26403.Failed to add user to group.  (-2147463168   SYSTEM   Performance Log Users   )

CustomAction CreateUser returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

It appears to be trying to add the SYSTEM user in the DOMAIN context to the Performance Log Users group and, because user obviously doesn't exist, it's failing.

The workaround in the other thread is to run the install in the user context so it can use that user to get through this stage. I don't consider that a solution - this needs a fix so that it can be run in the system context and when a user is not logged in.

• Edited by MattByrne Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:11 AM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:10 AM

Answers

• Teammala's advice works - I hit the same issues however.

So in summary:

The VLSC installer cannot be deployed via SCCM as it tries to add a nonexistant user to a security group and fails.

The public installer cannot be deployed with an AdminDeployment.xml as it doesn't copy this file to the temporary install location and as a result can't find it. The only way to install is to use the commandline:

vs_professional.exe /noweb /full /quiet /norestart /ProductKey XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

I should hope Microsoft is aware of these issues as both are very dumb.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 5:07 AM

All replies

• "CreateUser:  Error 0x80005000: Failed to add user DOMAIN/SYSTEM to group 'WinNT://Localhost/Performance Log Users'.
    CreateUser:  Error 0x80005000: failed to add user: SYSTEM to group Performance Log Users"

Have you tried to add user DOMAIN/SYSTEM to group 'WinNT://Localhost/Performance Log'?

You could refer to the link below to try it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722184.aspx

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:27 AM
  • That user does not exist. It's trying to use the SYSTEM user (which is obviously a local account) but referencing it within our domain (where we don't have a SYSTEM user, as it would be useless). Before anyone suggests creating that user in the domain, that's not something we're going to do.

Monday, May 26, 2014 3:47 AM
  • Hi MattByme,

I confused with your description.

>>It appears to be trying to add the SYSTEM user in the DOMAIN context to the Performance Log Users group and, because user obviously doesn't exist, it's failing.

It means SYSTEM user doesn't exist.

>>this needs a fix so that it can be run in the system context and when a user is not logged in.

Which user do you use to log in?

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

As noted, this is being installed via SCCM, which installs program as the LOCAL SYSTEM user.

The installer however tries to add the SYSTEM user on our active directory domain to the performance log users group. This account does not exist and will not exist. 

So in essence - two different user contexts and the installer doesn't seem to differentiate between them and is instead assuming domain user, not local user. Which is wrong.

• Edited by MattByrne Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:46 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:45 AM
  • Hi MattByme,

Error 0x80005000 means "An invalid directory pathname was passed".

I suppose it may be about SCCM configuration. I suggest you try installing VS directly in system context, not via SCCM to see if it has the same issue. 

If it is, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the latest installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.  

If it could works without any issue, the issue may be about SCCM. I suggest you post the issue to SCCM forum below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?category=systemcenter2012configurationmanager

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:09 AM
  • I´m having same problem..

- if i silently deploy vs 2013 professional through sccm when running from task sequence, deployment fails on Windows 8.1 machine.

- its failing because it´s trying to add domain system account to performance log users

- same package works great on Windows 7

- if i try to run package with psexec -s -i (as a system account) it also fails. if i run package with normal admin, it´s ok

- i tried to add system account to that group manually before running package, no help

Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:59 AM
  • Hi Teammala,

>>-if i try to run package with psexec -s -i (as a system account) it also fails. if i run package with normal admin, it´s ok.

It seems it is about administrator permission. You need administrator credentials to install Visual Studio. However, you don't need them to use Visual Studio after you install it.

As I said, can you install VS 2013 pro not through SCCM without any issue? Have you tried it? If not, please try it with administrator permission. If it still fails, please share the detailed error message. Use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the latest installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

If it could install it without any issue, Your current issue may be about SCCM configuration. It may can't give the installer the administrator permission.

Regards,

Friday, May 30, 2014 6:12 AM
  • Sccm uses system account to install software. When i manually run the package silently from command prompt with "normal" admin rights, it install ok. When i install it manually with psexec as a system account, it fails (same as sccm)

I noticed that update 2 is released to VS. I tested deployment with this and it's working. So Visual studio 2013 with update 2 fixes this problem.

• Edited by Teammala Saturday, May 31, 2014 9:32 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Teammala Saturday, May 31, 2014 9:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MattByrne Monday, June 02, 2014 6:06 AM
    Saturday, May 31, 2014 9:31 PM
  • Hi MattByrne,

Have you tried installation with update 2? You can get it from here:http://7www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42664

I had problems with admindeployment.xml and update2. Log files said that it´s invalid etc. I removed it and set paramets to command line and everything worked.

Monday, June 02, 2014 5:13 PM
  • Hi MattByrne,

Have you tried installation with update 2? You can get it from here:http://7www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42664

I had problems with admindeployment.xml and update2. Log files said that it´s invalid etc. I removed it and set paramets to command line and everything worked.

I am using the version with update 2, specifically "SW_DVD5_Visual_Studio_Pro_2013_English_-2_MLF_X19-27145.ISO" from the VLSC.

I've done the same testing, using PSExec to elevate to SYSTEM and run the installer. I get exactly the same issue so this has nothing to do with SCCM.

Collated CAB file of logs here: http://1drv.ms/1p3k14x

• Edited by MattByrne Tuesday, June 03, 2014 8:24 AM
    Tuesday, June 03, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Hi MattByrne,

I am using the version with update 2, specifically "SW_DVD5_Visual_Studio_Pro_2013_English_-2_MLF_X19-27145.ISO" from the VLSC.

I've done the same testing, using PSExec to elevate to SYSTEM and run the installer. I get exactly the same issue so this has nothing to do with SCCM.

Collated CAB file of logs here: http://1drv.ms/1p3k14x

I first used that same version, SW_DVD5_Visual_Studio_Pro_2013_English_-2_MLF_X19-27145 from VLSC but that doesn't include update 2. If you check release date from vlsc it says, 7.11.2013 (at least for me). Update 2 was released on May 2014.
    Tuesday, June 03, 2014 1:21 PM
  • When installed manually this package definitely is Update 2.

Evidently there must be some difference between the VLSC version and the public version. I'll give the latter a go assuming it's still suitable to use in an enterprise environment. Not sure what the differences actually are.

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 2:38 AM
  • Hi MattByme,

Have you solved your issue now? Or have you tried installing the public version fron the link below?

http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs

Regards,

Thursday, June 05, 2014 1:46 AM
  • Teammala's advice works - I hit the same issues however.

So in summary:

The VLSC installer cannot be deployed via SCCM as it tries to add a nonexistant user to a security group and fails.

The public installer cannot be deployed with an AdminDeployment.xml as it doesn't copy this file to the temporary install location and as a result can't find it. The only way to install is to use the commandline:

vs_professional.exe /noweb /full /quiet /norestart /ProductKey XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

I should hope Microsoft is aware of these issues as both are very dumb.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 5:07 AM
  • I get the same problem when installing Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 with system center 2012 using the following command line.

vs_premium.exe /l C:\SCCM\Microsoft_Visual_Studio_Premium_2013.log /q /full /NoRestart

To be clear, the installers cannot be deployed at all with sccm ?

The command lines should be installed run manually on each computer or can you use a command line like vs_professional.exe /noweb /full /quiet /norestart /ProductKey XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX on each computer ?

As MattByrne and Teammala suggest,  there is a problem when installing the program under a system account, that is being used when installing via sccm or psexec.

We had these issues multiple times with vendor msi's or legacy setups in the past.
    SCCM used to have an option "allow users to interact with this program"
    I was thinking about trying to enable this option but it does not seem to be an available option anymore in SCCM 2012 ?

• Edited by AT_skydrive Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:30 PM extra clarification
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Just to make things clearer for anyone else banging their head against a wall for a week like I was...

The installation command line within an SCCM 2012 deployment program:

vs_professional.exe /noweb /full /quiet /norestart /ProductKey XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

WORKS with the slipstreamed VS2013 with Update 2 source

DOES NOT WORK with the original VS2013 RTM

I DIDN'T TEST with the slipstreamed VS2013 with Update 1

The AdminDeployment XML installation method has not worked at all for me.

Tested on SCCM 2012 R2 deploying a Windows Server 2012 SOE via a task sequence and package deployment to collection.

• Proposed as answer by rpxn Thursday, July 03, 2014 11:21 PM
    Thursday, July 03, 2014 11:20 PM
  • I received the sources from the customer for who I am packaging.
    He told me that a licence did not have to be put on the command line since they work with a volume licence.
    I can slipstream but do I also need to add the serial to the command line for it to work ?
    Wednesday, July 09, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Hello!

I've made this with psexec and a prerequisite. I created a post on this site here:

http://www.bewi.at/?p=1173

Maybe it is usefull for you. I've tested it and in my environment it works.

Monday, September 22, 2014 12:47 PM