none
FaxComExLib Operation Failed sending fax to SBS2003 via Windows 2003 Server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to develop some code to send a fax automatically from a ASP webpage.  My code is as follows :

Dim faxServ As New FAXCOMEXLib.FaxServer()
                Dim faxDoc As New FAXCOMEXLib.FaxDocument()

faxServ.Connect("SERVER01")
                faxDoc.Body = "C:\temp\test.txt"
                faxDoc.DocumentName = "Test"
                faxDoc.Recipients.Add(012345678961) ' Fax Number                     

faxDoc.Sender.FaxNumber = "012345678960"
                faxDoc.Subject = "Test Subject"

faxDoc.ConnectedSubmit(faxServ)  
                faxServ.Disconnect() ' Disconnect from server

Basically on my development machine (XP Pro) the fax sending works correctly via our SBS 2003 server which has the fax services installed.   Now I want to upload the ASP webpage to our Windows 2003 Standard server under IIS.  When I try to send faxes using this server (via the SBS2003) server I get the exception "Operation Failed".

I've installed/uninstalled the Fax Service on our Windows 2003 Standard server but still the same error message.

Any ideas how I can overcome this problem ?

Monday, June 2, 2008 5:34 PM

All replies

• Does anyone have any suggestions ?
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 8:23 AM
  • Further to my comments above, please find below a more detailed error.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800710D8): Operation failed. at FAXCOMEXLib.FaxDocumentClass.ConnectedSubmit(FaxServer pFaxServer) at ASP.faxbooking_aspx.__Renderform1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer) in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\FaxBooking\FaxBooking.aspx:line 35

However I still have the problem where I can't send any faxes ?

Please could somebody advise.
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Following on from my previous information I rewrote the above code in a VB application and ran the same routine on our Windows 2003 server and it worked first time.  Therefore the issue is related to either the DLL or IIS.  Can anyone offer any other advice ?
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Following on from my previous posts - The problem relates to a permissions issue.  I rewrote my code in a Windows VB .NET application and can reproduce the error message of "Operation Failed", when running the application with a basic user. 

If I assign the user fax sending rights, it works OK.  So the problem sending a fax using the webpage, relates to the IIS permissions when running the page.

However I still haven't figured out where to change such setting.  Any suggestions.
    • Marked as answer by Martin Xie - MSFT Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by NeilDT Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:38 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:42 PM
  •  Although this is the reason, I still haven't found a answer to correct this issue. 
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:37 AM
  • Hi NeilDT,

Try granting a permission to ASP.Net machine account so that it can access the fax.

1. You can try user impersonation (this is set in the .config file)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306158
    How to implement impersonation in an ASP.NET application

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xh507fc5.aspx
    ASP.NET Impersonation

2. You can configure IIS to use an account who can access to the fax machine.

In the default website properties, click "Directory Security", then click "Edit".
    Change the Anonymous access user to be a user on your domain with access
    to the fax machine.

Hope that can help you.

Redirect this issue to your another thread on 
    http://forums.iis.net
    http://forums.iis.net/p/1149716/1871076.aspx

Best regards,
    Martin Xie
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:56 AM
  • Hi Martin,

I tried what you suggested but still the same result.  I edited IIS permissions for the directory WebSetup2, and modified the web.config file.  You can see below the users before and after attempting to send the fax.

DOMAINNAME\Test

DOMAINNAME\FaxUser (with correct rights to send fax)

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800710D8): Operation failed. at FAXCOMEXLib.FaxDocumentClass.ConnectedSubmit(FaxServer pFaxServer) at ASP.faxbooking_aspx.__Renderform1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer) in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebSetup2\FaxBooking.aspx:line 55

DOMAINNAME\Test

Any suggestions what the problem may be ?

Neil
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:12 PM
  • Also, if I log on the server as the user Test & try to send the fax using the VB windows app I wrote, the fax is sent
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:18 PM
  • Hello Neil,

I have the same problem as you have described, and I as wondering if you have reached any solution or work around for it?

Thanks,
    Ahmed
    Ahmed khalifa
    Monday, January 5, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

In the end I still couldn't get it working, so wrote my own application in Visual C++ to run on the clients machine. and send the fax using the clients creditials.

Neil
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:47 AM
  • I have a similar problem.

I wrote a Managed Event Sink (COM+ Application) that should send a fax upon receiving an email. If I send the fax with only Text, the fax is sent correctly. If I try to send a pdf document as the fax body, an error occurs: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800710D8): Operation failed.

I'm running this COM+ application as a domain users, but I enabled all privileges for the fax to this user. (Both in Fax Service Manager -> Fax Properties -> Security and Printers and Fax -> Fax properties -> Security).

When I, however, change the user of the COM+ Application to the domain adminstrator, the fax is sent correctly, so this must be a permission issue. I have Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 installed in the server which runs the script.

Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:29 AM