none
Office Add-in Troubleshooting RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a tool or way to list all the different Add-Ins running on a particular Office application that includes the vendor name, version, memory used and other info for troubleshooting? I can pull some of this info, but not all.  Looking to gather info on not only the Add-Ins I write in VB.Net 2013 but also third party Add-Ins.

Thanks in advanced for any direction, links or suggestions.

Matt

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 7:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can loop through the Application.COMAddIns property to determine which add-ins are loaded or not.  Beyond that, you can read the COMAddIn.Description and .ProgId properties to get some information. You may be able to get version and publisher details from the actual assembly, but you'd have to parse the registry to find it.  Use the ProgId to match it with a ProgId folder in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{GUID YOU NEED TO FIND}\ProgId.  The sibling InprocServer32 node will have the path to the .dll in the CodeBase key.

However I'm not aware of a way to find how much memory the loaded add-in is actually consuming.

Eric Legault (MVP: Outlook)
    Try MessageFiler for Outlook!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:09 PM
  • >>>Is there a tool or way to list all the different Add-Ins running on a particular Office application that includes the vendor name, version, memory used and other info for troubleshooting? I can pull some of this info, but not all.  Looking to gather info on not only the Add-Ins I write in VB.Net 2013 but also third party Add-Ins.<<<

According to your description, you could troubleshoot Office files and custom solutions with the telemetry log.

The Telemetry Log for Office 2013, a tool built upon Excel 2013, helps developers and experienced users diagnose compatibility issues by displaying events that occur within select Office 2013 applications. Using this tool, users can determine potential issues with add-ins that they use in their work environment, giving enterprise decision-makers the information that they need to decide whether to upgrade to Office 2013. The Telemetry Log also gives detailed feedback about specific changes or deprecations in the object models for the Office 2013 applications, which helps developers quickly identify and refactor problematic code or controls. IT professionals can view trends in solution health across multiple clients by using the Telemetry Dashboard for Office 2013, a companion tool to the Telemetry Log.

For more information, click here to refer about Troubleshooting Office files and custom solutions with the telemetry log

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hello Eric,

Thanks for the reply. This helped. It was basically the way I was trying to collect information.  The part about HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{GUID YOU NEED TO FIND}\ProgId was something I had not tried yet. 

It appears that some VSTO Add-Ins report a GUID  of

{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

when using

Application.COMAddIns.Item(iCommAddins).Guid.ToString to get the information.

For Outlook, I noticed that it already enters an Event 45 in the application log, showing most of the information I requested, plus the "Boot Time".  Since Outlook Add-Ins was my number one concern, I can live with this for now.

Thanks

Matt Reed

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:38 PM
  • >>>It appears that some VSTO Add-Ins report a GUID  of

{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

when using

Application.COMAddIns.Item(iCommAddins).Guid.ToString to get the information.<<<

According to your description, I have reproduced this issue, as far as I know that a CLSID is a globally unique identifier that identifies a COM class object. If your server or container allows linking to its embedded objects, you need to register a CLSID for each supported class of objects.

For more information, click here to refer about CLSID Key

In addition you could refer about VSTO Add-ins, COMAddIns and RequestComAddInAutomationService

Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:40 AM