none
Excel add-in does not show up on client side RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Why would it be so difficult to deploy an application level excel 2003 add-in using a windows installer?

Anyways, here's my case.
    My client configuration is:

1. Win XP.
    2. Excel 2003.

My development system config, Windows XP, VS 2008.

I am developing an application level add-in for Excel using VSTO.

I have tried all the forum questions, and articles that I could find in MSDN at this point.
    I literally followed the tutorials for deploying VSTO addin using windows installers- Parts 1 and 2.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa537179%28office.11%29.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa537173%28office.11%29.aspx

I cross checked all the registry entries like a million times already.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386106.aspx

My add-in works perfect on development PC, but it does not load up on the client PC.
    I can see it is being installed at the right place, and i can see the registry entries are there.

I am just not sure why it does not show up on client side.
    My guess was trust issues.
    so , I followed the above mentioned walkthrough, but it doesn't work.

I also ended up trying to give full trust to the complete folder doing this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/akashb/archive/2008/10/10/8994631.aspx

but even that does not work.

Is there some sort of troubleshooter to troubleshoot this sort of an issue?
    Is there some article I am missing out on?

also, installing pre-requisites like PIA, is also kind of an issue, since for some reason, the setup does not show the user, where to get the setup from.

Abhilash

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Abhilash,

After installing the add-in in client machine, launch the Excel Application, open the COM Add-Ins dialog, and check this Add-in is in the list. If this Add-in is in the list, check it's state and Load Behavior. I guess it may be this notice in this thread. Also here is a good thread you can refer to: Why doesn’t my VSTO add in load after the deployment, but works on my development machine when debugging in Visual Studio?

As you said, the development system includes Visual Studio 2008 and Office 2003. It is a VSTO SE project not a VSTO 2005 project. Here is a good resource about deploying VSTO SE add-in: Deploying Office Solutions to End User Computers. The detail links are:
    Deploying Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Office System SE Solutions Using Windows Installer (Part 1 of 2),

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 6:32 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to "General Discussion" because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to "Question" by opening the Options list at the top of the post window, and changing the type. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:26 AM
  • hi,
    It's been a while, and I had given up tryig to solve this problem.
    however, there is demand for this product of mine, and so I need to finish this off as soon as possible.

do you think you can help me??

I looked up the links for VSTO SE , but in part 2 it only mentions how to do it for document addins, I have an application level addin.

Aslo, I tried making a dumy application level addin, but it wouldn't work following the steps in walthrough part 2, my guess is since it is for document level.

Please help me sort this out....it's like i have this awesome software.....but no one can use it since i can not deploy it.

Also, I tried doing a lot of things long time ago, and I got it in the list....however i keep getting runtime error, but it does not mention what runtime error it is. Is there some way to find out about runtime errors, and see what's going on? i dnt think excel is allowing it to do some action....

Best solution, would be ....if u can tell me....how to do this from scratch, I have a working application level addin , and i want to make an installer for it, which preferably works for office 2003 and 2007, and on xp and vista, even win 7 maybe.....
    Is that supposed to be so hard ?? Because I have never had this hard time doing anything......I don't know what's going on....very frustrated now...
    please help....

By the way, find below the errors for my attempt with the dummy application.

Error    5    Could not find required file 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\Office2003PIA\ComponentCheck.exe' for item 'Microsoft Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies'.    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Error    10    Could not find required file 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\Office2007PIA\ComponentCheck.exe' for item '2007 Microsoft Office Primary Interop Assemblies'.    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Error    11    General failure building bootstrapper    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Warning    7    No 'HomeSite' attribute has been provided for '2007 Microsoft Office Primary Interop Assemblies', so the package will be published to the same location as the bootstrapper.    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Warning    2    No 'HomeSite' attribute has been provided for 'Microsoft Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies', so the package will be published to the same location as the bootstrapper.    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Error    4    No 'PublicKey' or 'Hash' attribute specified for file 'Office2003PIA\ComponentCheck.exe' in item 'Microsoft Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies'.    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Error    1    No 'PublicKey' or 'Hash' attribute specified for file 'Office2003PIA\o2003pia.msi' in item 'Microsoft Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies'.    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Error    9    No 'PublicKey' or 'Hash' attribute specified for file 'Office2007PIA\ComponentCheck.exe' in item '2007 Microsoft Office Primary Interop Assemblies'.    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Error    6    No 'PublicKey' or 'Hash' attribute specified for file 'Office2007PIA\o2007pia.msi' in item '2007 Microsoft Office Primary Interop Assemblies'.    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Error    3    The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'Office2003PIA\o2003pia.msi' in item 'Microsoft Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information.    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Error    8    The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'Office2007PIA\o2007pia.msi' in item '2007 Microsoft Office Primary Interop Assemblies' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information.    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup
    Error    12    Unrecoverable build error    C:\Documents and Settings\axt062000\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ExcelAddInSetupTest\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup\ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup    ExcelAddInSetupTestSetup

Thanks a lot,
    Abhilash
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Hello Abhilash,

In the second article, there is a walkthrough for enhancing the Outlook Add-in Setup Project. This walkthrough also applies to Excel Add-in. You could follow the steps: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332052.aspx#officevstowindowsinstallerwalkthrough_enhancingtheoutlookaddinsetup.

<<Best solution, would be ....if u can tell me....how to do this from scratch, I have a working application level addin , and i want to make an installer for it, which preferably works for office 2003 and 2007, and on xp and vista, even win 7 maybe.....>>
    For this, basically, it is not recommended to create one solution that target at Office 2003 and Office 2007. Please refer to this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/6b36a867-0f65-492c-a213-907acdf6b19e. So here, I suggest you create one add-in for Excel 2003 and another add-in for Excel 2007.

After taking a look at this error, it seems to be caused by Component Check. In the first article, it has a title (Adding the Visual Studio Tools for Office Package to the Bootstrapper). Please review it again, I also search a thread with a same issue which may interest you: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/68b7b524-f8e3-42e2-b057-0348af97bcdf. You could first check the path of the advapi32.lib, and adjust the code.

If you have any further concern for this, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,
    Bessie
    Friday, January 8, 2010 6:55 AM