none
Why was it forbidden to associate test cases to third party test types? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The topic

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/test/associate-automated-test-with-test-case?view=azure-devops#faq

says: "tests that use other test frameworks such as Chutzpah (for JavaScript tests such as Mocha or QUnit), or Jest cannot be associated with a test case". As far as I see, it is still possible using VS2015. Could you explain what is a reason of this prohibition?

Thanks,

Roman

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:11 AM

Answers

• Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Sorry for the delay since it quite takes me some time to research this issue. I think you can get some useful info from this thread. According to it:

The reason why tests that use other test frameworks such as Version 2 of the MSTest framework, xUnit, nUnit, Chutzpah, and others cannot be associated with a test case is due to:

The association experience for MSTest v2 and other test types was opened up in VS 15.7 accidentally because of an issue. You will find that as that issue got addressed, the association got blocked again in VS 15.8.

And the team are working on supporting it officially and is expected to become available in the 15.9 timeframe. You can add your comment there and check the feedback if you still want to know the detailed info and the latest progress about that issue.

Hope my reply helps. Any feedback would be expected.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Sorry for the delay since it quite takes me some time to research this issue. I think you can get some useful info from this thread. According to it:

The reason why tests that use other test frameworks such as Version 2 of the MSTest framework, xUnit, nUnit, Chutzpah, and others cannot be associated with a test case is due to:

The association experience for MSTest v2 and other test types was opened up in VS 15.7 accidentally because of an issue. You will find that as that issue got addressed, the association got blocked again in VS 15.8.

And the team are working on supporting it officially and is expected to become available in the 15.9 timeframe. You can add your comment there and check the feedback if you still want to know the detailed info and the latest progress about that issue.

Hope my reply helps. Any feedback would be expected.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Hi friend,

Any update for this issue? If my reply is helpful to solve your puzzle please consider marking it as answer. If you're still confused about it, just like I suggested above, you can report this issue on Github by the feedback option at the bottom of the page and the contributors of this article would know. 

Any feedback would be expected.

Sincerely

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 8, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Thanks for the answer.

We did not experience any issues with our custom test framework, tests run from test plans fine. So when this command became disabled in one of updates of VS2017, it looked like a ban. I'm glad to hear that it is at least not a ban, since we have to work around this restriction.

Thanks,

Roman

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 9:10 AM