none
KDiff3 as external tool for compare/merge? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to use KDiff3 as the compare and merge tool in Visual Studio 2017. Is this possible, and if so, how? I've googled but haven't found which arguments to use for the compare and merge operations in Visual Studio.

The Visual Studio settings for external tools are under:

Tools > Options > Source Control > Visual Studio Team Foundation Server > Configure User Tools

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hi ps8v9,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Yes, you can. As the options you shared, you just need to type the related value in the "Configure User Tools" windows.

"Extension" -- the format of file you want to merge/compare,'.*' means all type of files.

"Command" -- the full path of KDiff3

"Argument" -- it will update for KDiff3 tool

In addition, we recommend you could read this blog: diff/merge configuration in Team Foundation – common Command and Argument values  

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Thanks, that worked for the Compare operation. I'll test the Merge operation shortly once I've got a file that's ready to merge and will let you know the outcome. The MSDN Forum is awesome!
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:38 AM