none
Visual Studio with Win7 need to run at Win10

Question

• Hi, a newbie here and I wanted to be directed to the correct path. I have Visual Studio 2010 running on Win7 and when we build the executable which runs on as a 64bit application.

Question 1:Now, Can I execute a build with my Studio 2010 on the Win7 PC but perform a build so the executable it produces will work on a target Win10 PC? We haven't moved our Studio to a Win10 development PC just yet.

Question 2: Installing Studio 2010, will install work on a Win10 development PC?

Thanks...so sorry for the newbie question.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:53 PM

Answers

• You should seriously consider switching to VS2019 or at least VS2017 first. If you're doing nothing fancy, then this the way to go.

1) When correctly built, yes.

2) Basically, yes. But it can be get messy. Afaik it is a not supported scenario.

• Marked as answer by DDC_SanDiegoCA Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:08 PM
  • Just setup a VM and test the upgrade path. I never had really issues, when upgrading. I always took it at the perfect opportunity to do some house keeping :)
    • Marked as answer by DDC_SanDiegoCA Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:32 PM

All replies

• You should seriously consider switching to VS2019 or at least VS2017 first. If you're doing nothing fancy, then this the way to go.

1) When correctly built, yes.

2) Basically, yes. But it can be get messy. Afaik it is a not supported scenario.

• Marked as answer by DDC_SanDiegoCA Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:08 PM
  • Thanks. We were trying to keep the version we had but it seems we need to upgrade. 
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:16 PM
  • Just setup a VM and test the upgrade path. I never had really issues, when upgrading. I always took it at the perfect opportunity to do some house keeping :)
    • Marked as answer by DDC_SanDiegoCA Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:32 PM
  • Thanks!

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:04 PM
  • Hi friend,

Glad to hear you solved this issue, if you meet any VS IDE issue in the future, please kindly let us know. Thank you for helping us build a better Visual Studio!

Sincerely

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 18, 2019 3:23 AM