none
App compiled with redistributable 14.0.23918.0 crashes on machine updated to redistributable 14.0.24210.0

Question

• Hello MSDN,

I have a windows application utilizing MFC that was compiled using VS2015 update 2, and shipped with the associated Visual c++ 2015 redistributable 14.0.23918.0.

I have updated one of the development machines to Visual Studio 2015 update 3, along with the updated redistributable 14.0.24210.0. If I recompile the application using update 3, it runs fine, but if I attempt to run the application with the lastest redistributable on the machine, but leaving the application compiled with update 2, the application crashes returning from a function call where I was creating a few views with "Stack cookie instrumentation code detected a stack-based buffer overrun.".

Looking into it, CMFCToolBarComboBoxButton object has changed size from 244 to 248 bytes, so the application is allocating space based on the compiled header file, but then is constructed/destructed based on the larger implementation within the updated runtime. Looking closer, the base class CMFCToolBarButton has a new boolean m_bIsDragged (line 225 in afxtoolbarbutton.h).

Is my analysis correct? If so I need to issue a hotfix to my clients before the updated redistributable his windows update, correct?

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:01 PM

All replies

• I have a windows application utilizing MFC that was compiled using VS2015 update 2, and shipped with the associated Visual c++ 2015 redistributable 14.0.23918.0.
    I have updated one of the development machines to Visual Studio 2015 update 3, along with the updated redistributable 14.0.24210.0. If I recompile the application using update 3, it runs fine, but if I attempt to run the application with the lastest redistributable on the machine, but leaving the application compiled with update 2, the application crashes returning from a function call where I was creating a few views with "Stack cookie instrumentation code detected a stack-based buffer overrun.".
    Looking into it, CMFCToolBarComboBoxButton object has changed size from 244 to 248 bytes, so the application is allocating space based on the compiled header file, but then is constructed/destructed based on the larger implementation within the updated runtime. Looking closer, the base class CMFCToolBarButton has a new boolean m_bIsDragged (line 225 in afxtoolbarbutton.h).

Is my analysis correct?

What you've found sounds pretty authoritative to me.

I suggest that you submit this as a bug report on the MS connect site
    (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio) since it's a
    compatibility issue and if your analysis is correct MS need to be
    aware of it because they're going to be breaking other applications.

If you supply a simple project and clear instructions on how to
    reproduce it, it should get looked at (hopefully quickly).

If so I need to issue a hotfix to my clients before the updated redistributable his windows update, correct?

Probably!

Dave

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 11:37 PM
  • We have seen the same problem.  I submitted a bug report on MS Connect and via Visual Studio.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2892501/new-vc-runtime-14-0-24210-0-breaks-mfc-app-built-with-vs-2015-update-2

Please vote for this issue.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016 9:49 AM
  • Thank you for letting me know you reported an issue with this. I have voted for it.
    Wednesday, July 06, 2016 1:11 PM
  • Hi Robert D Bruce,

thanks for posting here.

If your case has been verified to be a bug, please let me know. According to the Microsoft policy, I'll move this case to off-topic after this. Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, July 08, 2016 2:59 AM