none
Installing new TFS 2017 Express. What to type in "SQL Server Instance" to import remote TFS Express?

Question

• Let's say there are two computers, 192.168.0.1 (old) and 192.168.0.2 (new). None of them are joined to a domain. The old has an existing TFS 2017 Express, and I am installing a new TFS 2017 Express on the new. My goal is of course to move the TFS from the old to the new.

At the installation step "Existing Deployment", there is "SQL Server Instance". What should I type? I have tried 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.1\TFS (the database's name is "TFS", it is an SQL Server Express that came with TFS). But none of them worked. On the old computer, I have disabled Firewall, enabled "sa" account and TCP/IP connection of the SQL server. I have confirmed that I can remotely connect to the database using the IP address and "sa" account with a software named "HeidiSQL".

The error message is TF255049.

PS: I am NOT trying to use the database on the old with the TFS on the new. I know TFS Express does not allow storing data on a remote database. I am just trying to import the existing data on the old to the new.

• Edited by Jeong-hun Wednesday, March 01, 2017 11:53 AM
    Wednesday, March 01, 2017 11:44 AM

All replies

• I was wrong... or the interface was a bit misleading. I thought by choosing "Existing Deployment" and "Using existing SQL Server", I could import from the "SQL Server" of the "Existing TFS" on the old computer, to the new computer.

It turned out that "Existing Deployment" really means using a database that already exists, not copying data from an existing database on the old computer into a new database running on the new computer.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Hi Jeong-hun,

Thank you for posting here.

Yes, you need to backup the databases on the old server and restore all the databases on the new server manually or via the backup wizard in the TFS Administration Console. For more information about move TFS, you could refer to the following link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/tfs/admin/move-clone-hardware

If you want to use the old TFS and new TFS at the same time, please remember to run the remap command in the above link.

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 2:54 AM
  • Hi Jeong-hun,

Is there any update? Have you solved the problem?

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 7:28 AM