none
Is there a way to reference field names as variables in test cases? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a team of testers that are working on building test cases for a website my company is developing and I was wondering the following:

Imagine I have a registration form with the fields "Username", "Age", "Email", and "Password".

Once writing a test case, is there any way for me to reference the field names as global variables? Sort of like when programing java in eclipse for instance, and when you start writing a variable the auto-complete tool tells you what has already been declared? The reason I´m looking for a feature like this is to 1) Minimize the chances of referencing a field incorrectly and 2) making sure that, if a field changes it´s name (form "Username" to "User" for example), all the test case´s steps referencing that field name will also change accordingly (From "Username" to "User".)

Seems like such a must have feature to avoid having to go back test case by test case and changing manually all the field names that changed, but I can´t for the life of me find anything that will do the trick.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 7:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No, there isn’t such feature available now. You can submit a user voice here.

Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:41 AM