none
.Net 4 Setup freezes on Windows 7 - 0% progress on Installing .Net Framework 4 Client Profile RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

it's my first post at this forum - I hope you could help me.

After having problems with installing VS2010 (it freezes when installing .Net Framework 4) I decided to download the stand-alone installer for the .Net Framework: dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe

But I have the same problems: after starting the installer (with admin privileges) the decompression starts and I confirm the install.

The installer announces some security checks and afterwards it freezes with a progress of 0%. Nothing happends for hours.

Maybe someone could give me a hind, wath to do. Where can I find logs to analyse the reason for the problem and the point of freeze.

Thank you very much,

Dirk

Friday, May 28, 2010 8:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Dirk,

Welcome to MSDN forums. I'm so glad to hear from you.

Based on your description, it seems that .NET Framework 4.0 could not be installed successfully during VS2010 installation.
    Thus, let's try installing .NET Framework 4.0 separately from VS2010 installation.

To install .NET Framework 4.0, could you please try the following steps for further troubleshooting.

1. Download .NET Framework 4.0 Standalone installer
        Note: You can try some download manager software to help downloading.

2. Use Cleanup tool to clear the failed installation of .NET Framework 4.0

3. Run the installer to install .NET 4.0 with Administrator Privilege
        Note: Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator"

4. If any problem occurs during the installation, use Collect tool to collect the log files for further troubleshooting.

The steps to collect the log:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install .NET Framework 4.0 Standalone installer
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx
    - Run Collect tool and find vslogs.cab file from "%temp%" folder
    - Diagnose the cause of failure installation
      Try the points mentioned here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/0376db8f-4761-4ae5-9af2-98c53216318a#How_to_diagnoseVS2008_NETFramework_logs to diagnose the cause of failure installation.
       If you have any problem to analyze the issue, you can send vslogs.cab file to me (v-yicche@microsoft.com)
       Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by dwoe Friday, May 28, 2010 9:29 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Dirk,

Welcome to MSDN forums. I'm so glad to hear from you.

Based on your description, it seems that .NET Framework 4.0 could not be installed successfully during VS2010 installation.
    Thus, let's try installing .NET Framework 4.0 separately from VS2010 installation.

To install .NET Framework 4.0, could you please try the following steps for further troubleshooting.

1. Download .NET Framework 4.0 Standalone installer
        Note: You can try some download manager software to help downloading.

2. Use Cleanup tool to clear the failed installation of .NET Framework 4.0

3. Run the installer to install .NET 4.0 with Administrator Privilege
        Note: Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator"

4. If any problem occurs during the installation, use Collect tool to collect the log files for further troubleshooting.

The steps to collect the log:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install .NET Framework 4.0 Standalone installer
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx
    - Run Collect tool and find vslogs.cab file from "%temp%" folder
    - Diagnose the cause of failure installation
      Try the points mentioned here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/0376db8f-4761-4ae5-9af2-98c53216318a#How_to_diagnoseVS2008_NETFramework_logs to diagnose the cause of failure installation.
       If you have any problem to analyze the issue, you can send vslogs.cab file to me (v-yicche@microsoft.com)
       Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by dwoe Friday, May 28, 2010 9:29 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 8:58 AM
  • Hello Yichun Chen, thanks a lot.

After using the Cleanup Tool the install of .Net Framework 4 works. (I tried to use the stand-alone-installer before).

Two days of troubel - one perfect hint and the solution.

Thanks again,

Dirk

Friday, May 28, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Hi Dirk,

It's my pleasure!

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, May 28, 2010 9:37 AM
  • Just a little note that may be of use to any other having a problem with getting .net 4 to install. I endured a bit of a rough night ploughing through all of the above and a host of other seemingly useful hints to no avail. Eventually I discovered my problem. It appears that when the .net installer is initiated, it goes on a bit of a hunt to find the drive with the largest amount of free space to use as a location to unpack the install files. The installation is then run from this location. In my case the drive that it picked was one that contained data that I intended using for testing purposes from a different machine. The security setup on the drive (being from another machine) was preventing the install from proceeding. I applied SYSTEM (over the top I know but it worked!) permissions to the drive that eventually got the install going. It appears that the scan for drive space may not check that the installer will actually be able to use the drive space that it has located.

With the benefit of hindsight, perhaps the internet install (I was obviously using the standalone install) may have circumvented this issue. I never tested this.

Hopefully someone from Microsft may be able to confirm (or deny) that my suspicion is correct, and maybe help others to get to bed a bit earlier than I have tonight.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Thanks Kevinz - I had a similar problem and it dawned on me that I had a couple of USB/Flash memories plugged in.  I removed these and it worked OK.
    • Proposed as answer by MoonPunch Monday, March 5, 2012 11:03 PM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

I am having the same problem.  Running the clean up tool did not help.  I have no flash/external drives and SYSTEM has full access to my D: drive.  I have verified in the logs that it is in fact extracting to C: OK.  It just hangs at the very beginning of the installation.  I could find no indication of any errors in any of the logs in my Temp folder.  I ran the collect.exe tool, but it generated quite a few very large files and I had a quick look at most of them, but without knowing what I was looking for felt like I was not making any headway.  If it is not too presumptuous, I will forward the vslogs.cab to you.  Hopefully you will be able to find something.  Thanks.

Robert

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Unplugged my USB sound card and it worked straight away!
    Monday, March 5, 2012 11:04 PM
  • i tried all but can't solve the problem. Please help. Thanks.

Best Regards.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:01 AM
  • Oh my god. Thank you! I just unplugged my USB soundcard and it worked.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Hi,  same problem here as "dwoe", I followed your instructions, but nothing has changed...

Here is my vslogs.cab -> http://www.sendspace.com/file/a0u7lp

Thank you in advance

Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:07 PM
  • For me, the Windows Updates were jammed. I disabled and enabled the Windows updates and it worked.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:15 PM
  • I forgot to say that I did it in the Services.
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Digledu: (For me, the Windows Updates were jammed. I disabled and enabled the Windows updates and it worked)

This worked for me as well!!!!!!

• Edited by tsunamiBTP Friday, October 2, 2015 5:28 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 5:27 PM
  • I know this one's old but this thread helped me heaps just recently. Disabling updates on my system also fixed the .NET installation issue.
    Saturday, February 6, 2016 8:39 AM
  • HELLO MY NAME IS AHMAD AMEEN 
    YOU CAN CALL ME AMEEN
    MAYYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU WATCH THIS VIDEO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xbCnSMBTCk
    Monday, February 22, 2016 4:38 PM
  • Three hours and I finally saw your post. Was stuck at installing profiles (progress 0). I restarted Window Update and the install gave a fail message. I restarted the service again and then started the framework install and I got a progress bar. Thanks so much
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 3:54 AM
  • Hi, I just unplugged my card reader, installed on the motherboard internal usb pins and it worked.

This was super annoying.

Friday, May 6, 2016 7:50 PM
  • This also worked for me! Even after several reboots, and running the .NET Framework cleanup tool I could not get .NET 4 to install.  Then I noticed that an svchost.exe process was constantly using CPU.  I stopped and restarted the Windows Updates service, and then tried the .NET 4 install again and it worked.  Thank you!!
    Friday, May 20, 2016 8:27 PM
  • Confirmed, this works! Thanks!
    Monday, May 30, 2016 9:59 PM
  • Check if your windows Installer is running. If it is set to manual change to automatic start it and then reboot the PC that is how I get it work.

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:06 PM
  • Confirmed: The process 1) Stopping Windows Update in Services (Win + R > services.msc) 2) Installing as admin 3) Restarting the Windows Update service worked for me.

Thanks to whoever came up with it!
    Friday, August 5, 2016 10:43 PM
  • re-confirmed:

1.- Stop de Windows Update Service
    2.- Install the frameWork 4 (this process restarted the Windows Update Service)

Then the installation occur as xpected.

Monday, August 15, 2016 11:38 PM
  • This did the trick for me, after days of struggeling. Thanks!
    Monday, August 29, 2016 7:56 AM
  • Two days of struggles. This worked for me as well:

1) Stop Windows Update Service (under Services)

2) Run .Net 4 stand-alone installer

I'm on a Macbook Air and Bootcamp.

Monday, August 29, 2016 7:05 PM
  • Thank You!
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:12 AM
  • Confirmed: The process 1) Stopping Windows Update in Services (Win + R > services.msc) 2) Installing as admin 3) Restarting the Windows Update service worked for me.

Thanks to whoever came up with it!

This worked for me as well.  (this drove me nuts)

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:05 AM
  • well this is 2010 so who knows; I'm having the same problem with my windows 7 64 bit system - I have net framework 3.5.1 but software wants 4.0 - and it freezes right before the client profile.  I tried the cleanup but it seems to just screw up the 3.5.1 (other software didn't work after that) - when in the process did you use the cleanup?  Anyway none of the steps mentioned seemed to help me and I still can't download my software or get past the client profile step of downloading net framework 4.0 and I don't have a clue how to fix it - tried the standalone installer, no difference, I don't know what's going on - any help appreciated.

Monday, September 19, 2016 5:28 PM
  • Install the Windows update fix referenced in KB31138612.

You may have to stop the "Windows Update Service" before installing it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

This fix is for Windows Update which is what the installer is hanging on.

So download the fix for your machine

Reboot the computer

stop the "Windows Update Service"

Run the fix

Install the net.framework 4

Moses Hull of Alexant Systems

• Proposed as answer by Magpie1908 Friday, November 18, 2016 10:19 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Hi, This is my first time on this forum however I have been experiencing the same issues as most of those folk above and have tried the following unsuccessfully:

1. Stopped Windows Update Service

2. Ran Clean-up utility

3. Ran .NET standalone installer as Admin

Any further assistance or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

Friday, November 18, 2016 10:23 AM
  • This is an old post, but unfortunately, it's a recurring issue. I have frequent occasions when Windows Update gets stuck using Windows 7. The only way I have consistently fixed the issue has been by using the Windows Offline Update. No matter where the update process got stuck, Windows Offline Update would download the relevant updates, install them, and then I could go back to the stock Windows Update application, and it would work as designed again.

Windows Offline Update: http://www.wsusoffline.net/

The application has not been developed by MS, but it uses MS services and applications to do its job.

HTH!

Pedro.

Monday, December 5, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Excuse me Sir,

Here I have faced the same problem. Please help in this issue again......just now I am trying my best to install it.

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/344473-1601445-install-hangs-with-about-5-seconds-left/&do=findComment&comment=2833591

Here is the link I attach for my problem as JPEG image.....

Thursday, October 25, 2018 3:17 PM