Is this as easy as ACCESS? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been developing desktop applications with ACCESS and SQL Server for a number of years. I would like to use a more advanced technology but, don't have the time in the day. Is LightSwitch a decent replacement for ACCESS?
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:39 PM

Answers

• you have 2 questions: (a) is Lightswitch easy and (b) is it a decent replacement for Ms Access?

a) easy.

It depends :)  And it depends in the first place on your mileage with asp.net based web technology and JavaScript (I'm presuming here that since you want to start today, you will no longer use the silverlight client?). My experience is that the appreciation is higher when people have went to building web apps from scratch. You will better understand the power and beauty of LightSwitch. Nonetheless, even without this background you will be able to build simple apps with the help of the sample videos and the numerous blog posts. From you moment you want to do really custom stuff, you will want to know more about javascript, c# or visual basic.

b) decent replacement for Access.

I'm not an access "connaisseur",  but the Access I remember is kind of monolithic beast. So, you have one app tier. In lightSwitch you have multiple (3)  tiers because the app can serve multiple users over the internet (it's a distributed architecture).  So, if simplicity is your most important point, access wins because the foundations are simpler. Putting it simply, in LightSwitch in the end you will have to reason in terms of requests and responses; that's not the case in Access.  So, in case you don't really need the distributed aspects, just stay where you are.  Otherwise, give it a try :)

paul van bladel ==independent enterprise application architect== http://blog.pragmaswitch.com

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:23 AM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 3:36 PM

All replies

• you have 2 questions: (a) is Lightswitch easy and (b) is it a decent replacement for Ms Access?

a) easy.

It depends :)  And it depends in the first place on your mileage with asp.net based web technology and JavaScript (I'm presuming here that since you want to start today, you will no longer use the silverlight client?). My experience is that the appreciation is higher when people have went to building web apps from scratch. You will better understand the power and beauty of LightSwitch. Nonetheless, even without this background you will be able to build simple apps with the help of the sample videos and the numerous blog posts. From you moment you want to do really custom stuff, you will want to know more about javascript, c# or visual basic.

b) decent replacement for Access.

I'm not an access "connaisseur",  but the Access I remember is kind of monolithic beast. So, you have one app tier. In lightSwitch you have multiple (3)  tiers because the app can serve multiple users over the internet (it's a distributed architecture).  So, if simplicity is your most important point, access wins because the foundations are simpler. Putting it simply, in LightSwitch in the end you will have to reason in terms of requests and responses; that's not the case in Access.  So, in case you don't really need the distributed aspects, just stay where you are.  Otherwise, give it a try :)

paul van bladel ==independent enterprise application architect== http://blog.pragmaswitch.com

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:23 AM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 3:36 PM
  • Good Answers Paul.  As an Access 'developer' myself, I would say LS is more than decent replacement for all of the reasons Paul mentions. Ans being that LS was originally targeted to 'citizen developers' it is quite an easy RAD environment.  That said, there are major hang ups coming to LS from Access.  Some things that are so easy in Access are rather difficult in LS (cascading drop downs  and complete lack of reporting are two that come to mind) but once you figure these out it's great. 

Now for the issue of should you spend the time to learn LS...there is no roadmap and it's anybody's guess whether there will be a new version of the LOB desktop client.  When Silverlight was still alive I thought it was a great move from Access, but now without future direction from MS, we cannot say it's a good move, unfortunately.

My suggestion would be to dive into the intro videos by Beth Massi in your spare time.  Also pay close attention to LS announcements cuz we all hope to the LOB story will change...but don't hold your breath.

You're prolly familiar with Luke Chung of FMS...he has a nice (albeit dated) comparision here:

http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/LightSwitch/platform/index.html

HTH,

Josh

• Edited by joshbooker Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:05 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:03 PM
  • Thanx.
    Friday, December 5, 2014 11:24 AM
  • Thanx.
    Friday, December 5, 2014 11:24 AM