Is Visual Basic being abandoned? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know with the decision to NOT include a VB.net track with the current VS2012 MCSD track,

is Microsoft abandoning Visual Basic?

It seems unthinkable with literally millions of VB programmers around the world, but with the

exams only being for C# I would like to know if this is a strategic decision. There are currently no VB.Net exams.

Is there an implication in this decision or am I reading too much into it? 

I know others have asked similar questions but I would like a direct answer for my own future planning.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:36 PM

Answers

• >>Is Microsoft abandoning Visual Basic?

No. You see that with the newly-latest released version of NET, VB.NET & C# are upgrating in syntax. So Microsoft is abandoning VB6 instead of VB.NET.

Click For donating:Free Rice For the poor
    For spamming-sender issues, you can either report it at Microsoft Spamming Issue, or just find "Report Spam Here+Number" at Forum Issue;You can also find "Verify Your Account+Number" at "Forum Issue", where you can submit to be confirmed to paste links or images.
    For more things to talk about? StackOverFlow is your choice.

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:51 AM
  • Adding on to ThankfullHeart's reply; In recent releases of Visual Studio Microsoft up the ante for VB.NET developers to be much more compatible with C which indicates VB.NET is not going any place any time soon.  Being a professional developer today means you need to have more than one language under your belt. So if you are a contract developer and don't have VB.NET skills you may very well lose out on income, same goes for a C# developer.

The only reason in our shop to have C is because it makes sense as one-third of our shop is Java where syntax between Java and C is closer. For this reason we still have projects using VB.NET when it makes sense and C where it makes sense, part of the decision comes from knowledge of the developer and that since VB projects in a solution are done language agnostic all a consumer needs to know comes from formal documentation and WSDL files. So in your world it most likely is the complete opposite but still may make sense to consider this.

VB.NET is here to stay for a long time while VB6 is here until current in production applications can not be supported and/or the VB6 developer pool is gone.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Friday, October 18, 2013 11:15 AM

All replies

• >>Is Microsoft abandoning Visual Basic?

No. You see that with the newly-latest released version of NET, VB.NET & C# are upgrating in syntax. So Microsoft is abandoning VB6 instead of VB.NET.

Click For donating:Free Rice For the poor
    For spamming-sender issues, you can either report it at Microsoft Spamming Issue, or just find "Report Spam Here+Number" at Forum Issue;You can also find "Verify Your Account+Number" at "Forum Issue", where you can submit to be confirmed to paste links or images.
    For more things to talk about? StackOverFlow is your choice.

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:51 AM
  • Adding on to ThankfullHeart's reply; In recent releases of Visual Studio Microsoft up the ante for VB.NET developers to be much more compatible with C which indicates VB.NET is not going any place any time soon.  Being a professional developer today means you need to have more than one language under your belt. So if you are a contract developer and don't have VB.NET skills you may very well lose out on income, same goes for a C# developer.

The only reason in our shop to have C is because it makes sense as one-third of our shop is Java where syntax between Java and C is closer. For this reason we still have projects using VB.NET when it makes sense and C where it makes sense, part of the decision comes from knowledge of the developer and that since VB projects in a solution are done language agnostic all a consumer needs to know comes from formal documentation and WSDL files. So in your world it most likely is the complete opposite but still may make sense to consider this.

VB.NET is here to stay for a long time while VB6 is here until current in production applications can not be supported and/or the VB6 developer pool is gone.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Friday, October 18, 2013 11:15 AM