Convert IntellitraceLogFile.iTrace into some other format using c# code or any tool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there any way to convert intellitrace files generated by Microsoft memory agent into some other format.

This file can be opened only in VS 2013 ultimate. What we want is to convert it into some other file fomats like .xml or .txt to maintain our logs so that there won't be any dependency to have VS 2013 in our server environment.

Is there any tool available or any workaround to convert using C# code?

Looking forward for your reply

Thanks And Regards,

Kavita Aggrawal

• Moved by CoolDadTx Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:50 PM VS related
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:28 PM

Answers

• FAIK, there exists an API:
    API Reference for IntelliTrace Extensibility
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ee661590(v=vs.120).aspx
    with a sample:
    IntelliTrace file reading sample
    http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/iTraceReader/

With kind regards

• Marked as answer by Carl Cai Monday, November 25, 2013 6:08 AM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to MSDN.

As far as I know, I am afraid that there is no build-in tool to convert .iTrace to another format.

MaybeCompletelyW has showed a way to read the file by creating an application in C# and use the API Reference for IntelliTrace Extensibility

You could create a similar project following the way of that sample shared by MaybeCompletelyW.

As Risa-CiCi said, that sample application was created for the .iTrace file created by VS2010.

I tested that sample, I find that project added the reference of Microsoft.VisualStudio.Intellitrace from GAC:

C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Intellitrace\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Intellitrace.dll

You could remove that reference and copy the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Intellitrace.dll which is located in the directory of VS2013, then add the reference of the dll to test.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Carl Cai Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:45 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:44 AM

All replies

• FAIK, there exists an API:
    API Reference for IntelliTrace Extensibility
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ee661590(v=vs.120).aspx
    with a sample:
    IntelliTrace file reading sample
    http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/iTraceReader/

With kind regards

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

I tried with the API provided. But i am facing an issue over here.While running iTraceReader.exe with command iTraceReader.exe <logFileName> i am getting an exception saying that "The log file was created by incompatible version of visual studio and can not be opened".

Here log file Name is name of iTrace file which i have placed with iTraceReader.exe file.

Really looking forward to get solution of my problem.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

I tried with the API provided. But i am facing an issue over here.While running iTraceReader.exe with command iTraceReader.exe <logFileName> i am getting an exception saying that "The log file was created by incompatible version of visual studio and can not be opened".

Here log file Name is name of iTrace file which i have placed with iTraceReader.exe file.

Really looking forward to get solution of my problem.

Thanks

"Here log file Name is name of iTrace file"

If you change it to the path of the iTrace file, will it work fine?

Nice day. : )

remember make the reply as answer and vote the reply as helpful if it helps.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

I have provided the file path of iTrace File. Its not working.The same exception i am getting:

"The log file was created by incompatible version of visual studio and can not be opened."

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:31 AM
  • In my opinion, you should use the iTraceReader.exe which is located in the directory of VS2013.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:36 AM
  • Hi, 

What do you mean by using iTraceReader.exe which is located in the directory of VS 2013.

I am using iTraceReader.exe built by debugging sample project of API downloaded from the link provided in this post.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:57 AM
  • Sorry for my mistake.

That C# project is coded for the .iTrace files of VS2010, so I suggest you change that code based on the API of VS2013 to read the .iTrace files of VS2013.

I noticed that that .exe is built in .net 3.0, you could change it to .net 4.5.1 to test whether it will help.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Hi,

I have already done this.No Luck :(

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to MSDN.

As far as I know, I am afraid that there is no build-in tool to convert .iTrace to another format.

MaybeCompletelyW has showed a way to read the file by creating an application in C# and use the API Reference for IntelliTrace Extensibility

You could create a similar project following the way of that sample shared by MaybeCompletelyW.

As Risa-CiCi said, that sample application was created for the .iTrace file created by VS2010.

I tested that sample, I find that project added the reference of Microsoft.VisualStudio.Intellitrace from GAC:

C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Intellitrace\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Intellitrace.dll

You could remove that reference and copy the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Intellitrace.dll which is located in the directory of VS2013, then add the reference of the dll to test.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Carl Cai Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:45 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

Where i can find this dll in VS 2013 directory. Can you please tell me the exact path. I am not able to find it.

Let me know if i am doing anything wrong.

Thanks

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

In my side, the path is the following one:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\IntelliTrace\10.1\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Intellitrace.dll"

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Friday, November 22, 2013 8:12 AM