none
Lightswitch and SharePoint 2013 - any WYSIWYG drag and drop design option?

Question

• Visual Studio 2013 Lightswitch html.  I have a SharePoint Online 2013 List data source. With Ligthswitch, is there any way to WYSIWYG design pages? Only see  left and right pane in the VS designer:

• Edited by o365spo Friday, July 04, 2014 10:32 AM
    Friday, July 04, 2014 10:28 AM

Answers

• LightSwitch does not have a WYSIWYG editor.

Instead there is kind of document explorer screen designer to which you can drag and drop artifacts from the view model. (left hand side of a screen in design mode). A view model is a structural element of the MVVM design pattern and contains queries and variables which can be consumed on an (html) screen.

You can also change the screen design in run time while debugging the app.

paul van bladel

• Marked as answer by o365spo Friday, July 04, 2014 7:12 PM
    Friday, July 04, 2014 11:54 AM

All replies

• LightSwitch does not have a WYSIWYG editor.

Instead there is kind of document explorer screen designer to which you can drag and drop artifacts from the view model. (left hand side of a screen in design mode). A view model is a structural element of the MVVM design pattern and contains queries and variables which can be consumed on an (html) screen.

You can also change the screen design in run time while debugging the app.

paul van bladel

• Marked as answer by o365spo Friday, July 04, 2014 7:12 PM
    Friday, July 04, 2014 11:54 AM
  • Thank You .. been playing with it and it's not that bad actually.

Noob follow up questions.  Okay if you just say these are all possible and I will RTFM. 

1.  How complicated to drive data row selected from a query string value like ?ID=xx? Where would that logic go?

2. What's the best way to add hard coded text to a detail browse  page?

3. What's the best way to NOT display field names on a detail browse page?  Don't see a option in the controls.

4. What's the best way to add page formatting like a horizontal divide line?

5. Add a URL link constructed from parts of the bound data?

6.  Join multiple SharePoint Lists into one page?

Friday, July 04, 2014 7:12 PM
  • You cannot "What You See Is What You Get" (WYSIWYG) with LightSwitch HTML Client (you can with the Desktop "Silverlight" Client). The reason for this is that LightSwitch adapts to multiple screen sizes. See: Designing for Multiple Form Factors (Heinrich Wendel).

Unleash the Power - Get the LightSwitch HTML Client book

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Saturday, July 05, 2014 12:44 PM
  • Hi there! 

I've been using WYSIWYG just in a testing mode. So I cannot answer your question now. Maybe you'll find the answer herehttp://www.websitebuilderbox.com/best-wysiwyg-website-builder/ . Hope it helps!
    Friday, February 09, 2018 5:58 PM