none
C Dowgrading code from SSE4.1 to SSE2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I have code which is written in SSE4.1 but I need to downgrade to SSE2 since my 10 years old cpu does not support SSE4.1.

PS. Cpu is AMD Phenom II X4 965

so lets begin:

functions.c

#include "./functions.h"

#include <assert.h>
    #include <stdint.h>
    #include <string.h>

//#ifdef __SSE4_1__
    #include <smmintrin.h>
    //#endif

//#ifdef __SSE4_1__
    void write_memory_sse(void* array, size_t size) {
      __m128i* varray = (__m128i*) array;

__m128i vals = _mm_set1_epi32(1);
      size_t i;
      for (i = 0; i < size / sizeof(__m128i); i++) {
        _mm_store_si128(&varray[i], vals);
        vals = _mm_add_epi16(vals, vals);
      }
    }

void read_memory_sse(void* array, size_t size)
    {
      __m128i* varray = (__m128i*) array;
      __m128i accum = _mm_set1_epi32(0xDEADBEEF);
      size_t i;
      for (i = 0; i < size / sizeof(__m128i); i++) {
        accum = _mm_add_epi16(varray[i], accum);
      }

// This is unlikely, and we want to make sure the reads are not optimized
      // away.
      assert(!_mm_testz_si128(accum, accum));
    }
    //#endif

Main reason why I want to downgrade from SSE4.1 to SSE2 is that my old cpu could run it, because it throws runtime exception: STATUS_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION, and I have no idea how to work with cpu instructions

and I higly suspect that my old cpu does not support size_t  and __m128i types, original source is: source

• Edited by speed258 Friday, June 14, 2019 8:52 AM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:29 PM

All replies

• Well, I can guarantee that your CPU does support size_t, this is a typedef of unsigned int for 32 bit applications and unsigned long long for 64 bit applications. These would go into the regular CPU registers.

__m128i is the integer view of the XMM registers that SSE instructions use, this was introduced along with SSE2, so any processor that supports SSE2 also supports __m128i.

Interestingly, all but the _mm_testz_si128 intrinsic are SSE2, and interestingly the entire function is optimised away for release builds anyway due to the compiler noticing that the function does essentially nothing.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Monday, June 24, 2019 3:07 AM