none
Reg. Framework 4.5.2 update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have web application compiled using .NET framework 4.5. Application is running fine in the production. However, since support ended from MS(https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2015/12/09/support-ending-for-the-net-framework-4-4-5-and-4-5-1/) for 4.5, we need to install 4.5.2 on the server. As I understand everything will work fine after 4.5.2 install.

Question is- what is recommended approach?-, do I need to uninstall 4.5 and then install 4.5.2 on top of the 4.0 base framework? Or just installing 4.5.2 on top of the current 4.5?

Also, since the link above says all three versions (4,4.5 and 4.5.1) support is ended, what is the base version which is supported by MS on top of which 4.5.2 runs?

Thanks,

Ram

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:52 AM

Answers

• >> since the link above says all three versions (4,4.5 and 4.5.1) support is ended, what is the base version which is supported by MS on top of which 4.5.2 runs? 

Your answer points to minor versions of the .NET Framework (4.5.2, 4.6). Can they exist without base CLR version, I mean 4.0? If I just install 4.5.2 will it work?

@Ram,

CLR + managed libraries and tools = Microsoft .NET Framework

The CLR is the low-level technology (much of it written in unmanaged, native code) that includes the garbage collector, security subsystem, just-in-time compiler, type system, the profiling API and other similar stuff. 

>> Can they exist without base CLR version, I mean 4.0?

No, because CLR is included in .NET Framework, if you installed these .NET Framework, the CLR version already exists in your development environment.

Versions of the Common Language Runtime

.NET Framework version

Includes CLR version

4.5 (including 4.5.1 and 4.5.2)

4.6 (including 4.6.1)

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Ram,

>>Question is- what is recommended approach?-, do I need to uninstall 4.5 and then install 4.5.2 on top of the 4.0 base framework? Or just installing 4.5.2 on top of the current 4.5?

just installing 4.5.2 on top of the current 4.5, then restart your OS.

>> since the link above says all three versions (4,4.5 and 4.5.1) support is ended, what is the base version which is supported by MS on top of which 4.5.2 runs? 

From the support page that you posted, I get as following:

Install a Supported Framework Version

The following links can be used to download and install a supported version:

1. .NET Framework 4.6.1 (Web InstallerOffline Installer)
    2. .NET Framework 4.6 (Web InstallerOffline Installer)
    3. .NET Framework 4.5.2 (Web InstallerOffline Installer)

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Kristin Xie Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:03 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:02 AM
  • Hi: Thanks for the reply.

Second answer is not very clear: 

>> since the link above says all three versions (4,4.5 and 4.5.1) support is ended, what is the base version which is supported by MS on top of which 4.5.2 runs? 

Your answer points to minor versions of the .NET Framework (4.5.2, 4.6). Can they exist without base CLR version, I mean 4.0? If I just install 4.5.2 will it work?

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:03 AM
  • >> since the link above says all three versions (4,4.5 and 4.5.1) support is ended, what is the base version which is supported by MS on top of which 4.5.2 runs? 

@Ram,

CLR + managed libraries and tools = Microsoft .NET Framework

The CLR is the low-level technology (much of it written in unmanaged, native code) that includes the garbage collector, security subsystem, just-in-time compiler, type system, the profiling API and other similar stuff. 

>> Can they exist without base CLR version, I mean 4.0?

No, because CLR is included in .NET Framework, if you installed these .NET Framework, the CLR version already exists in your development environment.

Versions of the Common Language Runtime

.NET Framework version

Includes CLR version

4.5 (including 4.5.1 and 4.5.2)

4.6 (including 4.6.1)

Best regards,

Kristin

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Thanks Kristian,

My next question is can I install 4.5.2 on top of the CLR 2.0 or do I need 4.0?

Thanks,

Ram

Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:23 AM
  • Thanks Kristian,

My next question is can I install 4.5.2 on top of the CLR 2.0 or do I need 4.0?

Thanks,

Ram

@Ram,

Yes you can.  .NET Framework can be installed separately.

Actually, each thread only corresponeds one question, it you have any other issues, please reopen a new thread in this forum.

Please remember to close this thread by marking helpful reply as an answer. Thanks

Best regards,

Kristin

• Edited by Kristin Xie Thursday, February 18, 2016 5:19 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:28 AM