none
Running Load Test crashed VS2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I just setup a new system, and every time I attempt to run a load test, Visual Studio 2013 crashes.  I've tried existing projects that run successfully on Server 2008 R2, and tried creating new, slim load test projects... on Server 2012 R2 they always result in a crash.

• Server 2012 R2
    • Visual Studio 2013 Update-2

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: devenv.exe
      Application Version: 12.0.30501.0
      Application Timestamp: 5361f453
      Fault Module Name: clr.dll
      Fault Module Version: 4.0.30319.34014
      Fault Module Timestamp: 52e0b784
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: 0001bc37
      OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.272.7
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 8e5e
      Additional Information 2: 8e5e6bd6820f0b306047f54040eb5ab3
      Additional Information 3: 4fc4
      Additional Information 4: 4fc453d02e7d452249ae69972be3e720

Friday, July 18, 2014 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

System.ExecutionEngineException was unhandled
    Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TestManagement.Client.dll

It seems that the crash occurred in TFS/MTM. Please disconnect to TFS team project in Team Explorer if you connected it and close MTM client and then run load test to check the result.

If the issue still occur, since this crash went away within VS safe mode, the maybe some VS add-ins affected VS, please make sure you disabled all VS add-ins from Tools->Extensions and updates and then start VS normally to check the result. If no help, and reinstalling did not resolve this issue, I doubt whether some other software on your machine affected VS. Whether you install TFS on the Windows Server 2012 R2(x64) machine? This a thread with the similar issue: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fceca1ae-9831-4b04-bc11-d6f8b99a7d92/visual-studio-crashes-when-creating-a-tfs-project?forum=tfsgeneral , please try Cece Dong’s suggestions and reinstall VS2013 Update 2.

Sometimes some third-party anti-virus may affect VS, if possible, please disable them temporarily and run load test to check the result.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

VS crash always means some packages failed to load, this can be caused by corrupted VS itself or blocked by some other software(Anti-Virus etc.) Please close the anti-virus software temporarily and run load test to check whether the crash still will occur.

If the crash still exists, please try the following standard methods to resolve such issue:

1. Run Visual Studio in Safe mode (devenv /safemode) and then run load test. If the issue will disappear under safe mode, you need to disable those third-party VSPackages from Visual Studio Tools->Extensions and Updates.
    2. Reset your VS settings through Tools->Import and Export settings->Reset all settings->….
    3. Create a new user account and run VS. If you can run load test without problem, your user profile is corrupt and you have to create a new account and copy current user info to it.
    4. Repair VS installation from Control Panel, which often resolves such issue.

If methods above won’t help, my last suggestion is to reinstall VS2013 and VS2013 Update 2 RTM.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, July 21, 2014 8:09 AM
  • The crash doesn't occur within Visual Studio safe mode (but I cannot run in safe mode forever).

I have reset all settings, uninstalled, re-installed numerous times - without success.

Visual Studio 2013 crash info:

Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TestManagement.Client.dll

Monday, July 21, 2014 1:48 PM
  • Hi Sean,

It seems that the crash occurred in TFS/MTM. Please disconnect to TFS team project in Team Explorer if you connected it and close MTM client and then run load test to check the result.

If the issue still occur, since this crash went away within VS safe mode, the maybe some VS add-ins affected VS, please make sure you disabled all VS add-ins from Tools->Extensions and updates and then start VS normally to check the result. If no help, and reinstalling did not resolve this issue, I doubt whether some other software on your machine affected VS. Whether you install TFS on the Windows Server 2012 R2(x64) machine? This a thread with the similar issue: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fceca1ae-9831-4b04-bc11-d6f8b99a7d92/visual-studio-crashes-when-creating-a-tfs-project?forum=tfsgeneral , please try Cece Dong’s suggestions and reinstall VS2013 Update 2.

Sometimes some third-party anti-virus may affect VS, if possible, please disable them temporarily and run load test to check the result.

Best regards,

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:38 AM