none
VS2012 Lightswitch screen build RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to Visual Studio and Lightswitch so I figured it would be worthwhile for me to follow along with the Beth Massi(?) tutorials and do exactly what she does... keystroke for keystroke... in the tutorials.

I never even made it past the second tutorial when several issues came up.  First... pressing F5 to start the project does not result in the creation of the project like the tutorial shows... instead it says that the build was successful but it never produces the screen, it just hangs on the design screen.  After several minutes, when I select the stop bebug button, the system hangs for a minute and then produces an error message saying that debug did not fully stop. 

If I don't use F5 to "Play" but instead use the dropdown menu in debug and tell it to start without debug it does produce the screen almost like the tutorial but there are several significant difference.   First, there is no navigation panel on the left of my screen but the tutorial clearly says there should be.  Second, the ribbon across the top is totally different from the one produced in the tutorial and the icons are not only in different locations, they are also quite pathetic looking.  Also... the Design button is located on the lower right of my screen instead of the upper right as in the tutorial.

Any suggestions?  I think I really need that navigation panel... it's the only way the user will be able to navigate through the screens in my finished project.

Thanks.

Ed

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:44 AM

Answers

• If you are just complaining about using the new shell and theme that shipped in LightSwitch v2 and want the original shell and theme (as being shown in the videos), then you can switch back to the Standard Shell and "Blue" Theme. Open the application designer by double-clicking the Properties node under the LightSwitch project, select the General Properties page, and change Shell and Theme to "LightSwitch Standard Shell" and "LightSwtch Blue Theme", respectively.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

• Marked as answer by Jyuma1 Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:06 PM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:42 AM

All replies

• To me it sounds like you are watching the videos for Lightswitch V1 and you are developing using Lightwitch 2012 inside Visual Studio 2012.
    • Proposed as answer by babloo1436 Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:22 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:20 AM
  • If you are just complaining about using the new shell and theme that shipped in LightSwitch v2 and want the original shell and theme (as being shown in the videos), then you can switch back to the Standard Shell and "Blue" Theme. Open the application designer by double-clicking the Properties node under the LightSwitch project, select the General Properties page, and change Shell and Theme to "LightSwitch Standard Shell" and "LightSwtch Blue Theme", respectively.

• Marked as answer by Jyuma1 Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:06 PM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:42 AM
  • @Justin - I don't think he was complaining about the "new shell", I don't think he realised it was a new shell & was confused following instructions in a V1 video, while using VS 2012 as Glenn has suggested.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:25 AM
  • @Yann - Yeah, maybe "complaining" is slightly harsh, but calling a part of it "quite pathetic" is what irked me a little. It's purely critical rather than being constructively critical.

@Jyuma1 - I apologize for calling your description "complaining". I do hope that rest of my post does help you in changing your application to the presentation that you see in the tutorial video.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:11 AM
  • @justin - I took no offense at your comment, although I was a bit confused by your use of the word complaining.  Yann was 100% correct; it was not my intention to complain only to ask a question.   In truth I know nothing about Visual Studio 2012 or Lightswitch for that matter and have only limited experience with VS 2010 (which was far more vibrant in its presentation).  My comment was an indictment of my own knowledge of VS2012 not of VS2012 itself... I thought the screen looked like it did due to some error on my part. 

Having said that...  your assessment of the problem was right on.  Once I changed the shell everything started looking like the tutorials with one caveat... there was something in the authentication (or security) on the Project properties that was stopping debug from working.  Using “Start without debugging” worked but “start with debugging” did not.  I don't remember exactly what I changed but it was on the general project properties screen under “authentication”.

Thank you for your much appreciated assistance.

Ed

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:05 PM
  • @Justin - I wasn't having a go at you, just explaining what I though the OP's actual intention was. TBH I kind of mised the bit about the icons looking "a bit pathetic", probably because I actually agree with the statement, & must have skipped over it. Personally, I don't like the new icons in VS 2012, or in LS V2. But I can see how that would have irked you, especially when you're trying to help as many people as you do.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:42 AM