none
The best way to do a demo program in days RRS feed

Answers

• You will need to provide a) the full requirements b) what have you done so far as we are here to assist with suggestions and/or assistance with code which has issues.

On a side note I'm in the process of writing a code sample for "trial period" library. High level it requires an Internet connection and .NET Framework 4.6.x or higher. Everything is well hidden from hackers (which you must consider when implementing demo/trial-period software). Lastly mine is being written in a solution which is devoid of any application as it's meant to be implemented via class projects where any application can use it by including the compiled DLL files. It also has a user-interface for generating serial numbers so that a trial application can be activated to a fully registered application. The user-interface aspect also stores customer information in a backend database. Some may not want to go that complex yet this is really not complex as when looking at third party libraries that implement trial/demo software. I mentioned all of this so that you consider what it takes to implement such software.

Edit, to get an idea of the complexity of my solution. The solution below is only for trail functionality which an application implements. Note there is C# besides VB.NET as part of the code needed to be in C#.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:40 PM
  • First off even Microsoft cant make a "strong" demo or etc.

Second off, how much can you do in days?

Third, most normal users have no ability to break into your demo so it does not need to be too strong for them and can be done in minutes. A real hacker intent on stealing your software can. You wont defeat them in days.

Finally, based on those three things, I feel saving a date in the app my.settings is "good enough" security for most users. You can encode it if you want to waste more time.

So I would just write the date the app was first started in the settings and then read it when the app starts and if more than 60 days exit.

:)

• Marked as answer by ahmeddc Sunday, October 22, 2017 12:43 AM
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi

Have you forgotten to do your school homework?

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

• Edited by leshay Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:28 PM
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:27 PM
  • You will need to provide a) the full requirements b) what have you done so far as we are here to assist with suggestions and/or assistance with code which has issues.

On a side note I'm in the process of writing a code sample for "trial period" library. High level it requires an Internet connection and .NET Framework 4.6.x or higher. Everything is well hidden from hackers (which you must consider when implementing demo/trial-period software). Lastly mine is being written in a solution which is devoid of any application as it's meant to be implemented via class projects where any application can use it by including the compiled DLL files. It also has a user-interface for generating serial numbers so that a trial application can be activated to a fully registered application. The user-interface aspect also stores customer information in a backend database. Some may not want to go that complex yet this is really not complex as when looking at third party libraries that implement trial/demo software. I mentioned all of this so that you consider what it takes to implement such software.

Edit, to get an idea of the complexity of my solution. The solution below is only for trail functionality which an application implements. Note there is C# besides VB.NET as part of the code needed to be in C#.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:40 PM
  • First off even Microsoft cant make a "strong" demo or etc.

Second off, how much can you do in days?

Third, most normal users have no ability to break into your demo so it does not need to be too strong for them and can be done in minutes. A real hacker intent on stealing your software can. You wont defeat them in days.

Finally, based on those three things, I feel saving a date in the app my.settings is "good enough" security for most users. You can encode it if you want to waste more time.

So I would just write the date the app was first started in the settings and then read it when the app starts and if more than 60 days exit.

:)

• Marked as answer by ahmeddc Sunday, October 22, 2017 12:43 AM
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 4:52 PM