none
Can't re-install Net Framework 4 Client - Same or higher version of .Net Framework Client Profile has already been installed on this computer

Question

• I had been having trouble installing patches to .Net, so decided to unistall all .Net (Version 3.5 SP1 and Version 4.0).  Uninstall said it worked, but when I tried to install .Net Framework 4 Client, i get the following message:

Same or higher version of .Net Framework 4 Client Profile has already been installed on this computer

Only choice I'm given is to exit install.  If I look at installed programs, .Net is not listed anywhere (even using msiinv.exe).  And I noticed that in my Windows folder, there is still a Microsoft.NET folder, with much data.  Any help on how I can install again?

Thanks

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Mannon,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Have you tried MVP’s suggestion?

I also recommend you use MsiInv tool to check if .NET Framework Extended or .NET Framework Multi-Language Pack is installed. If it is, please use MsiInv to uninstall them all.

I also recommend you try to uninstall or repair .NET Framework 4 via command line: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/04/16/9553804.aspx

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:00 PM

All replies

• Please tell us your Windows version.

You may be able to get rid of .NET Framework 4.0 "leftovers" by using this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Hi Mannon,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Have you tried MVP’s suggestion?

I also recommend you use MsiInv tool to check if .NET Framework Extended or .NET Framework Multi-Language Pack is installed. If it is, please use MsiInv to uninstall them all.

I also recommend you try to uninstall or repair .NET Framework 4 via command line: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/04/16/9553804.aspx

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Just for future reference I was able to solve the problem by looking at the MSI installer logs and finding this line:Property(S): NEWERVERSIONDETECTED = {BD6F5371-DAC1-30F0-9DDE-CAC6791E28C3}

And running this in a command line:

msiexec /uninstall {BD6F5371-DAC1-30F0-9DDE-CAC6791E28C3}

To my suprise it started to uninstall .NET Framework 4.6.1. And when I looked at my .NET Framework64 folder .NET 4.5 was gone too. But it fixed the problem (I was trying to install Theano and needed to install VS 2010, which needed .NET 4.0, but I had an earlier version that wouldn't go away even after clean-up) and I'm sure I can always re-install .NET 4.5 and 4.6.1.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:10 PM