none
VS2017 not using the .gitignore file? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using git in VS2015 for over a year.  When I started doing UWP development in VS2015 and now in VS2017 I notice that Visual Studio wants me to check in all kinds of ../bin/.. and ../obj/.. files that are created and updated by every re-run of my unit tests, every recompile, etc..  These folders are in my .gitignore file which command-line git sees and respects (as long as the files haven't already been checked-in).  

Is VS2017 ignoring the .gitignore file; specifically when UWP files are being worked with (I have only done UWP work in VS2017)? 

Is there some setting I missed in VS2017 that causes the editor to read or better yet create an appropriate .gitignore file?  

How do others avoid noisy check-in requests when working with VS2017+git+UWP?

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

If you already have a file checked in, and you want to ignore it, Git will not ignore the file if you add a rule later. In those cases, you must untrack the file first, by running the following command in your terminal:

git rm --cached FILENAME

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 8:16 AM