none
0x800a1391 - JavaScript runtime error" 'msls' is undefined RRS feed

• Question

• I create a brand new Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 C# HTML project and use Manage NuGet Packages and upgrade Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime (which automatically upgrades jQuery Mobile dependency) then datajs. This appears to work OK. When I attempt to update jQuery after that I get Install failed. Rolling back . . .

Updating 'jQuery 1.9.1' to 'jQuery 2.0.3' failed. Unable to find a version of 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime' that is compatible with 'jQuery 2.0.3'.

A bit of a worry  . . .  and I was right to be concerned because now whenever I hit Start to run my app I get 0x800a1391 - JavaScript runtime error" 'msls' is undefined and LightSwitch is now completely broken.

If I create a new project without upgrading I can hit Start and not get this error.

Is there any way to resolve this issue? I know someone else who has the same sort of error after using NuGet to pick up the WIF stuff (v4 I believe) and asked for advice. Seems like there's something not right here.

Z A R D O Z

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Let's start with a basic scenario:

I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2012, Version 11.0.60610.01 Update 3, with all Updates installed (Click on Tools | Extensions and Updates and in the dialog, there are no Updates left).

I create a new LightSwitch HTML Application and add an empty Browse screen. I switch to File View and open default.htm page, the page should show old version of JavaScript libraries - datajs 1.1.0, jQueryMobile 1.2.0, jQuery 1.8.2, msls 1.0.0, winjs 1.0.

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
    <html>
    <head>
        <meta charset="utf-8" />
        <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=10" />
        <meta name="HandheldFriendly" content="true" />
        <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1, maximum-scale=1, user-scalable=no" />
        <meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes" />
        <title>Application1</title>

<script type="text/javascript">
            // Work around viewport sizing issue in IE 10 on Windows Phone 8
            if (navigator.userAgent.match(/IEMobile\/10\.0/)) {
                document.writeln("<style>@-ms-viewport { width: auto!important; }</style>");
            }
        </script>

<!-- Change light-theme.css and msls-light.css to dark-theme.css and msls-dark.css respectively to use the 
             dark theme.  Alternatively, you may replace light-theme.css with a custom jQuery Mobile theme. -->
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/light-theme.css" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/msls-light.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/jquery.mobile.structure-1.2.0.min.css" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/msls-1.0.0.min.css" />

<!-- Default font, header, and icon styles can be overriden in user-customization.css -->
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/user-customization.css"/>
    </head>
    <body>
        <div id="msls-id-app-loading" class="ui-body-a msls-layout-ignore">
            <div class="msls-app-loading-img"></div>
            <span class="ui-icon ui-icon-loading"></span>
            <div class="ui-bottom-load">
                <div>Application1</div>
            </div>
        </div>

<script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.aspnetcdn.com/ajax/globalize/0.1.1/globalize.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/winjs-1.0.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/jquery-1.8.2.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/jquery.mobile-1.2.0.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/datajs-1.1.0.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/Generated/resources.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/msls-1.0.0.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/Generated/generatedAssets.js"></script>
            $(document).ready(function () {
                msls._run()
                .then(null, function failure(error) {
                    alert(error);
                });
            });
        </script>
    </body>
    </html>

Close default.htm. I can also verify that the library exists under Scripts folder, screenshot later. F5, the app should work and show a blank screen.

Right click on HTML Client project, Manage NuGet Packages, Updates. I only select Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime package and update it. If I only do so, note that datajs package is NOT updated and still stay at 1.1.0.

I then need to update my default.htm page to reference the new versions of libraries. Here's the new content, changes are in bold.

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
    <html>
    <head>
        <meta charset="utf-8" />
        <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1, maximum-scale=1, user-scalable=no" />

}
        </script>

<!-- Change light-theme.css and msls-light.css to dark-theme.css and msls-dark.css respectively to use the 
             dark theme.  Alternatively, you may replace light-theme.css with a custom jQuery Mobile theme. -->
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/light-theme-1.0.1.css" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/msls-light-1.0.1.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/jquery.mobile.structure-1.3.2.min.css" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/msls-1.0.1.min.css" />

<!-- Default font, header, and icon styles can be overriden in user-customization.css -->
    </head>
    <body>
                <div>Application1</div>
            </div>
        </div>

<script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.aspnetcdn.com/ajax/globalize/0.1.1/globalize.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/jquery-1.9.1.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/jquery.mobile-1.3.2.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/msls-1.0.1.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/Generated/generatedAssets.js"></script>
                msls._run()
                    alert(error);
                });
            });
        </script>
    </body>
    </html>

If I F5, everything should work. If I got the msls undefined, most likely I missed changing a reference.

If I now update the datajs NuGet package to 1.1.1, it should work and I will need to update my default.htm to reference datajs.1.1.1.min.js. Should be able to F5 the application.

Here's the before/after screenshot of the libraries, fully updated:

Please check if you can successfully upgrade a simple project to this point. I'd keep the default.htm around to copy / paste to any other projects.

What to do when msls is undefined

Most likely a reference was not updated to msls-1.0.1.min.js is missing. But you can Ctrl+F5 the application to launch without the debugger. Ignore the errors in IE, then hit F12 to launch IE debugger. On the Script tab, click the drop down to show all JavaScript files being referenced, then check the content of the files. msls-1.0.0.min.js looks like a good place to start, and its content is an HTML page with a 404 error. So msls-1.0.0.min.js was not found - it was replaced by msls-1.0.1.min.js by the update. Otherwise check the other libraries - jQuery, jQuery Mobile, datajs.

My HTML Client Rebuilds OK but my solution build fails with an 'Error List - Open Documents' showing Red 'X 0 of 1 Error' with no error description detail to indicate what the error is

I'm not sure what happened here either. If the Error List does not show any error, you can look at the Output window for Build and see if there are any errors reported there.

Best regards,
    Huy

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry about the difficulties you experienced. We did test VS Update 3 before releases, but it's definitely possible that there are scenarios that we missed.

Supported update scenario:

To update a LightSwitch HTML project to LightSwitch JavaScript Runtime shipped in VS Update 3 timeframe (1.0.1), update the following NuGet packages.

- Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime NuGet package
        - (Optional) datajs NuGet package. 

Updating LightSwitch JavaScript Runtime NuGet package will also update the correct jQuery and jQuery Mobile.

Note that you should NOT attempt to update jQuery NuGet package to the latest 2.0.? version because jQuery Mobile itself does not support jQuery 2.0.? in any of their released versions, only jQuery Mobile 1.4 alpha does.

For your project that is broken after trying to update to jQuery 2.0.1 (your first post):

I think you can try the following:

1. Using NuGet manager on the HTML Client project, remove Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime NuGet package. This should prompt you to also removes other NuGet packages. If it does, remove them.
    2. If jQuery Mobile and jQuery NuGet packages were not removed by the step above, remove them again. We want to clean all NuGet packages from the HTML Client project.
    3. Now add back Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime NuGet package.
    4. Also, if you update datajs to 1.1.1, make sure you update the reference in default.htm to datajst 1.1.1, not datajs 1.1.0.

For your second post question:

"I'm worked with released version of Visual Studio LightSwitch 2012 Update 3 and after Updating NuGet Managed packages marked within Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 for Update I can no longer create new projects."

I'm pretty sure you can create a new project, but it would not have the LightSwitch JavaScript Runtime shipped in VS Update 3 timeframe (1.0.1). To update, see above.

Best regards,
    Huy

Monday, August 26, 2013 8:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would try the following:

1. In your Solution Explorer, select the LightSwitch Project, switch the view into "File View" instead of "Logical View" (it's one of the icon at the top of Solution Explorer).
    2. Expand the HTML Client and open default.htm file.
    3. There should be a list of JavaScript libraries referenced like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/jquery.mobile-1.3.0.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/datajs-1.1.1.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/msls-2.0.0.min.js"></script>

4. In Solution Explorer, expand your HTML Client | Scripts folder and make sure all the libraries are still there. In this case, since your project was broken when updating jQuery, I think the jQuery is most likely missing. You can add back the file using any working project.

Best regards,
    Huy

Saturday, August 24, 2013 12:16 AM
  • Thx Huy.

My JS lib refs were:

<script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/jquery.mobile-1.2.0.min.js"></script>

I've bolded the differences.

After making the changes you suggested my next failure was that the packages.config was missing so I couldn't Rebuild!

Error 1 Could not copy the file "...\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\App1\App1\App1.HTMLClient\Content\dark-theme-1.0.1.css" because it was not found. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v3.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets 108 6 App1

I located that in another project and copied it into the "\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\App1\App1\App1.HTMLClient\Content\" and that got me past this error and on to the next:

Error 1 Could not copy the file "...\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\App1\App1\App1.HTMLClient\Content\jquery.mobile-1.3.1.min.css" because it was not found. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v3.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets 108 6 App1

Similarly finding and copying it to the Content folder were then missing: "jquery.mobile.structure-1.3.1.css", "jquery.mobile.structure-1.3.1.min.css" etc. etc.

After I'd copied all the missing files I started to get dozens of nasty errors in a single rebuild and flagged this process as a waste of my time because it was making things worse with no end in sight.

In short . . . thanks for your help Huv but your proposed solution doesn't work.

I'm worked with released version of Visual Studio LightSwitch 2012 Update 3 and after Updating NuGet Managed packages marked within Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 for Update I can no longer create new projects. I'm feeling pretty frustrated. If I was working in a preview I'd expect this sort of thing but not using a formally released tool. Is anybody testing this stuff prior to release or am I doing it now?

Z A R D O Z

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry about the difficulties you experienced. We did test VS Update 3 before releases, but it's definitely possible that there are scenarios that we missed.

Supported update scenario:

To update a LightSwitch HTML project to LightSwitch JavaScript Runtime shipped in VS Update 3 timeframe (1.0.1), update the following NuGet packages.

- Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime NuGet package
        - (Optional) datajs NuGet package. 

Updating LightSwitch JavaScript Runtime NuGet package will also update the correct jQuery and jQuery Mobile.

Note that you should NOT attempt to update jQuery NuGet package to the latest 2.0.? version because jQuery Mobile itself does not support jQuery 2.0.? in any of their released versions, only jQuery Mobile 1.4 alpha does.

For your project that is broken after trying to update to jQuery 2.0.1 (your first post):

I think you can try the following:

1. Using NuGet manager on the HTML Client project, remove Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime NuGet package. This should prompt you to also removes other NuGet packages. If it does, remove them.
    2. If jQuery Mobile and jQuery NuGet packages were not removed by the step above, remove them again. We want to clean all NuGet packages from the HTML Client project.
    3. Now add back Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime NuGet package.
    4. Also, if you update datajs to 1.1.1, make sure you update the reference in default.htm to datajst 1.1.1, not datajs 1.1.0.

For your second post question:

"I'm worked with released version of Visual Studio LightSwitch 2012 Update 3 and after Updating NuGet Managed packages marked within Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 for Update I can no longer create new projects."

I'm pretty sure you can create a new project, but it would not have the LightSwitch JavaScript Runtime shipped in VS Update 3 timeframe (1.0.1). To update, see above.

Best regards,
    Huy

Monday, August 26, 2013 8:35 PM
  • Thx Huy.

Interestingly enough when I opened VS2012 today I was offered the option to Update WinLibJS_VSE.exe: "Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScript". I did that and created a new project by following your advice and only updating the Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime NuGet package. Build successful  but when I try to run it I get the same error as I started with at the top of this thread :-(

In following your advice step-by-step on the original project that I had first had the problem with, I found that 'datajst 1.1.1' was automatically installed (IOW doesn't seem to be optional at all) when I added the Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime NuGet package. So, taking your advice, I looked for the ref. in default.htm but it was already 'datajs-1.1.1.min.js'. My HTML Client Rebuilds OK but my solution build fails with an 'Error List - Open Documents' showing Red 'X 0 of 1 Error' with no error description detail to indicate what the error is!!!

In the time honoured reboot approach I closed the solution and reopened it. Solution Rebuild gave the same Red 'X 0 of 1 Error' with no error description.

That's game over for me I'm afraid. I've got nowhere to go from here. Any more ideas?

Z A R D O Z

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:51 AM
  • Hi,

Let's start with a basic scenario:

I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2012, Version 11.0.60610.01 Update 3, with all Updates installed (Click on Tools | Extensions and Updates and in the dialog, there are no Updates left).

I create a new LightSwitch HTML Application and add an empty Browse screen. I switch to File View and open default.htm page, the page should show old version of JavaScript libraries - datajs 1.1.0, jQueryMobile 1.2.0, jQuery 1.8.2, msls 1.0.0, winjs 1.0.

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
    <html>
    <head>
        <meta charset="utf-8" />

}
        </script>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/light-theme.css" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/msls-light.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/jquery.mobile.structure-1.2.0.min.css" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/msls-1.0.0.min.css" />

</head>
    <body>
                <div>Application1</div>
            </div>
        </div>

msls._run()
                    alert(error);
                });
            });
        </script>
    </body>
    </html>

Close default.htm. I can also verify that the library exists under Scripts folder, screenshot later. F5, the app should work and show a blank screen.

Right click on HTML Client project, Manage NuGet Packages, Updates. I only select Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime package and update it. If I only do so, note that datajs package is NOT updated and still stay at 1.1.0.

I then need to update my default.htm page to reference the new versions of libraries. Here's the new content, changes are in bold.

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
    <html>
    <head>
        <meta charset="utf-8" />

}
        </script>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/light-theme-1.0.1.css" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/msls-light-1.0.1.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/jquery.mobile.structure-1.3.2.min.css" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Content/msls-1.0.1.min.css" />

</head>
    <body>
                <div>Application1</div>
            </div>
        </div>

<script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/jquery.mobile-1.3.2.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/msls-1.0.1.min.js"></script>
                msls._run()
                    alert(error);
                });
            });
        </script>
    </body>
    </html>

If I F5, everything should work. If I got the msls undefined, most likely I missed changing a reference.

If I now update the datajs NuGet package to 1.1.1, it should work and I will need to update my default.htm to reference datajs.1.1.1.min.js. Should be able to F5 the application.

Here's the before/after screenshot of the libraries, fully updated:

Please check if you can successfully upgrade a simple project to this point. I'd keep the default.htm around to copy / paste to any other projects.

What to do when msls is undefined

Most likely a reference was not updated to msls-1.0.1.min.js is missing. But you can Ctrl+F5 the application to launch without the debugger. Ignore the errors in IE, then hit F12 to launch IE debugger. On the Script tab, click the drop down to show all JavaScript files being referenced, then check the content of the files. msls-1.0.0.min.js looks like a good place to start, and its content is an HTML page with a 404 error. So msls-1.0.0.min.js was not found - it was replaced by msls-1.0.1.min.js by the update. Otherwise check the other libraries - jQuery, jQuery Mobile, datajs.

My HTML Client Rebuilds OK but my solution build fails with an 'Error List - Open Documents' showing Red 'X 0 of 1 Error' with no error description detail to indicate what the error is

I'm not sure what happened here either. If the Error List does not show any error, you can look at the Output window for Build and see if there are any errors reported there.

Best regards,
    Huy

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Thank you very much Huy.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This is the first chance I've had to get some clear-air so that I could focus and systematically step through all the changes. I've taken a copy of "Default.htm" too. Good advice because I really don't want to do this again.

Interestingly the first thing I discovered was another update to the Nuget Package Manager! I did that update first and, apart from that surprise, everything panned out exactly as you described and I no longer have the ". . . 'msls' is undefined" error msg :-)

I very much appreciate the painstaking work you've put into sorting this out for me. I can now move forward and build my Proof-of-concept app and hopefully I'll be then able to deploy it to IIS 8.0 successfully as preparation for a serious enterprise level mobility app that will follow.

I will also pass this solution link to another person I know who has been having the same error.

Z A R D O Z

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:47 PM