none
Printing Source code in color VS2012 RC

Answers

All replies

• Hi normanki,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I see that you want to use this function on VS2012. So your can have a look at this article

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/efc4xwkb(v=vs.110).aspx

When refer to Printing, you will see this

"You can use the options in the Print dialog box to include line numbers or hide collapsed regions of code when you print a file. In the Page Setup dialog box, you can also choose to print the full path and the name of the file by choosing Page header.

You can set color printing options in the Tools/Options/Environment/Fonts and Colors dialog box. Choose Printer in the Show settings for list to customize color printing. You can specify different colors for printing a file than for editing a file.

"

It is already available in VS2012 RC.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:47 AM
  • That doesn't work.  I changed the Fonts & Colors for Printing and all the text comes out black and white.

Did you try your solution before you posted it?

• Proposed as answer by Mesan935 Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mesan935 Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:49 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:18 PM
  • I am using the RTMREL from Dreamspark and guess what ... It doesnt work here either.

@Barry Wang  please verify solutions before blindly posting them.

I will say that the Line numbers will print in color but nothing else will.

Line numbers will not print in any color you choose just a default blue.

Default option , Automatic nor custom option have any effect ... it is as if it is just bypassing the color check for anything but the line numbers.

Monday, October 08, 2012 4:11 AM
  • I installed VS 2012 Professional this afternoon via my MSDN subscription and the first thing I checked was whether or not it had reinstated colour printing of code, which had been removed from VS 2010.

Sadly, nothing seems to have changed. I can see why Barry Wang might have thought he had found the solution, as there is a comprehensive range of printer colour settings provided within Tools/Options/Environment/Fonts and Colors - but, as others have already stated, they don't work!

Can Barry Wang or someone else from Microsoft please unmark Barry's response as the answer and tell us what is being done to fix this problem.

David 

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Hi All,

I'll do some research on this issue and back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:47 AM
  • Thanks, Barry.

BTW, I have just confirmed that the Tools/Options/Environment/Fonts and Colors facility for adjusting printer colours is not unique to VS2012. It is also present in VS2010, where Microsoft has already accepted that it does not work.

David

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Hi David,

It seems there is a connect thread here:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/766539/syntax-color-printing-does-not-work-vs-2012

If you have time, could you please all vote for it and continue track on this?

Currently I do not have a color printer and I'll try to report this issue.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Hi Barry,
    You don't actually need a colour printer to check this problem. Just 'print' to an Adobe PDF file instead.

I will sign up to Microsoft Connect and add my comments to that existing thread.

David

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:10 AM
  • The referenced Connect thread indicates that voting is disabled. It also says 'sign in to post a comment' but I am already signed in and I can see no way to add comments.

David

EDIT - Six hours later, I found that the restrictions on updating that Connect thread had now disappeared. I have now added a comment and incremented the bug reproduction counter (4 users have now indicated their ability to reproduce the bug).
    • Edited by haggis999 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Hi David,

I seem to recall some discussion about moving that Color Printing feature into the VS 2012 release, but it apparently didn't make the cut. The good news is that it will be included in the upcoming Pro PowerTools release. I don't have a hard release date on it yet, but it I believe it'll be going live shortly.

Sincerely, 

Ed Dore

Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Let's hope so.  It's ridiculous this could just be 'forgotten'.

:(

Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Hi Ed,
    Thanks for the update. Is Pro Powertools going to be free of charge? Can you confirm that the implementation will be better than was offered in the 'Color Printing Extension' for VS 2010, i.e. no irritating limitations such as not being able to set printing margins or hide collapsed regions?

David

Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:06 PM
  • This thread has gone very quiet. Any chance of some updated feedback from someone at Microsoft?
    Sunday, November 04, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Sorry for the slow response. My request for an ETA was any day now. But it looks like they finally release it yesterday. Productivity Power Tools 2012. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but you can download it from the gallery page.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:47 PM
  • Thanks, Ed. I will download the package and give it a try.

David

Friday, November 09, 2012 12:41 AM
  • Ed,
    I have now installed Productivity Power Tools 2012. My code printouts are now in glowing Technicolor!

Thanks for pointing me to the solution to my problem, but one thing still puzzles me. There is a comprehensive range of printer colour settings provided within 'Tools/Options/Environment/Fonts and Colors' in the standard versions of both VS 2010 and VS 2012 - settings that simply don't work as advertised. So why is the solution packaged within an optional Productivity Power Tools package instead of a standard bug fix?

David 

Friday, November 09, 2012 1:03 PM
  • A problem has just come to light with VS 2012 after my installation of Productivity Power Tools 2012. Under File in the main menu, the Page Setup... option is permanently greyed out, no matter which project I open!

The only way I have found to reactivate Page Setup is to go to Tools/Options/Productivity Power Tools and switch 'Color Printing' to OFF.

Fixing the colour printing bug by disabling the Page Setup options does not look like a very professional solution to my eyes! 

David

• Edited by haggis999 Friday, November 09, 2012 1:20 PM
    Friday, November 09, 2012 1:13 PM
  • I received an automated email today (5 Sept 2013) from Microsoft to say that "A reply from Barry Wang has been marked as an answer..." in this thread.

The post from Barry Wang that is currently flagged as the answer is the one where he told everyone that printing code in colour was included in VS2012. That is NOT TRUE. Back then in June 2012, Barry was just making a wild untested guess (he later admitted that he did not even have a colour printer).

The correct answer was actually given by Ed Dore on 8 November, when he announced that Productivity Power Tools 2012 had just been released and would fix the problem.

Both Barry and Ed are shown as moderators on this forum but the wrong one is claiming the credit on this occasion (and also misleading new readers of this thread)!

David 

Thursday, September 05, 2013 9:04 AM