none
Visual Studio Update 2 problem

Question

• After Applying Update 2 to VS2012 an error starts to appear after order to Start a Project. It happend for every project that was running smoothly before applying update 2.

The Error msg look like:

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start program

' NAME OF PROJECT ' ...

The format of the PE module is invalid

How to overcome this error or hot return VS2012 back as before this update

Friday, April 05, 2013 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Maybe you could restart your machine, check it again. I didn’t get this issue in my side, so I suggest you reinstall the VS2012 Update2.

To make sure that it is not the app issue, you could open it in other machine, if it worked well, so we could make sure that it is related to your VS. You could try to reset your VS settings, and remove all add-ins in your VS, run your VS in safe mode, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe you could restart your machine, check it again. I didn’t get this issue in my side, so I suggest you reinstall the VS2012 Update2.

To make sure that it is not the app issue, you could open it in other machine, if it worked well, so we could make sure that it is related to your VS. You could try to reset your VS settings, and remove all add-ins in your VS, run your VS in safe mode, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 7:42 AM
  • After Applying Update 2 to VS2012 an error starts to appear after order to Start a Project. It happend for every project that was running smoothly before applying update 2.

The Error msg look like:

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start program

' NAME OF PROJECT ' ...

The format of the PE module is invalid

How to overcome this error or hot return VS2012 back as before this update

I got same error when start debug/release project
    with current project and create new empty project.

• Edited by Alpha Blend Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:58 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:53 AM
  • Hi AlphaBBM,

Actually I installed a new VS2012 ultimate Environment, and then I installed the VS2012 update2, it still work well in my side.

I doubt that it is related to your VS setup. Of course, to make sure that it is not related to your app, you could run it in other machine.

You need locate to the IDE folder then run these commands:

Devenv.exe /ResetSettings

Devenv.exe /ResetAddin

Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs

After these, you can create a new project in a new workspace to avoid if there’re any problems of the old workspace settings.

Please close/move all third party tools in your machine.

If this issue is also exists, I know it is not a good solution, but I suggest you reinstall the vs2012.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Hi AlphaBBM,

Actually I installed a new VS2012 ultimate Environment, and then I installed the VS2012 update2, it still work well in my side.

I doubt that it is related to your VS setup. Of course, to make sure that it is not related to your app, you could run it in other machine.

You need locate to the IDE folder then run these commands:

Devenv.exe /ResetSettings

Devenv.exe /ResetAddin

Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs

After these, you can create a new project in a new workspace to avoid if there’re any problems of the old workspace settings.

Please close/move all third party tools in your machine.

If this issue is also exists, I know it is not a good solution, but I suggest you reinstall the vs2012.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thanks but already try all precedure.
    I found another error when try to uninstall update 2 from program feature. Installer ask me incorrect version of vs. i have ultimate installed but when remove update 2 ask me to brows the file version of vs 2012 profressional install disk. now i try to remove vs2012 ultimate.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you re-install the VS 2012 ultimate, and then install the VS2012 update 2, check it again.

In addition, we have the specific forum for VS Setup and Installation issue, if you met the installing issue, you could post an issue there: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/threads.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:49 AM
  • The same has happened to me. I updated Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate with Update 2, and this error message keeps popping up when I try to debug.

Now I removed the update, and the problem is gone. So It's definietly something in that update that's causing it for us.
    • Edited by CainKellye Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:11 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Hi CainKellye,

Do you install any add-ins in your VS before you install the VS2012 update2? If have, please move them. Please restart your machine, and create a new app, check it again.

If still no help, since it worked well in my side, I’m afraid this question requires a more in-depth level of support. I suggest you visit the following link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone, thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice weekend,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:01 AM
  • Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I'll dig in a little bit more while I don't use VS, to reinstall it without Update 1 but only Update 2 perhaps. As far as I remember there were no add-ins installed.

You too have a nice weekend!

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:12 AM
  • I can confirm this.

I had the same problem. Removing update 2 resolved it.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:27 PM
  • I uninstalled VS2012 completely, then reinstalled it and subsequently (without starting it) I installed Update 2.

Now it works like a charm. So if you have some free hours give it a shot. ;)

Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:08 PM