none
WPF UI Not Rendering RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the .NET Framework 4.0 on a Windows Embedded 2009 (XP) system.

I am now trying to run my WPF application - which works fine on Windows XP but the UI is completely black. The only part that's rendering at all is the WebBrowser control. Everything else is completely black.

I've tried running the application in Dependency Walker to see if I can work out if the Embedded system is missing a file - but the application refuses to profile.

Is there any way I can work out what might be causing this?

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:16 AM

All replies

• If the application starts but doesn't render anything then it's likely a problem with the video driver, it can't be a missing file because then the application wouldn't start.

In .NET 4 it's easy to force WPF to use software rendering instead of hardware accelerated rendered. Try adding this:

RenderOptions.ProcessRenderMode = System.Windows.Interop.RenderMode.SoftwareOnly;

in the application startup code or your main window constructor. If it works then the problem is the video driver. If not then it's likely a WPF bug.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:59 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Mike, I'll give this a go.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Hi 2way,

Thank you for your post. Thanks for Mike's help.

Do you have resolved your issue as what Mike said?

If not, I need more information about your application, could you please post the code here?

It would be appreciated if you could offer a simple ready-to-run sample for us. You could upload it to SkyDrive space and post a link here.

So that we can help you find the root cause of your issue.

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Annabella Luo[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Update.

I have made quite a lot of progress with this, I'm 90% done but with one last issue remaining.

After installing DirectX 9.0c, the UI is now displaying - with one exception. The images aren't rendering.

All other UI elements are displaying, the UI is animating, but where the images should be are empty. It's like the image files aren't there but they are.

Unfortunately I can't post the code on this forum it's not just a small application, it's 4 projects in a solution and over 2000 lines of code...

Does anyone know of any reason why the UI would display fine but fail to render the images?

Thanks

Ben

Friday, December 30, 2011 1:10 AM