none
Add In Tab not showing up in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I created a VSTO 2010 Word Add-in that has a ribbon button on it.  A couple of things that aren't working:

1.) I did see it under the Add-In tab at one point.  Now I don't and the add-in tab no longer appears.  Under Options the com-addin shows as loaded - but it isn't under the add-in tab.  I suspect since there is nothing in that tab, that is why it isn't showing up.  I don't see any way in options to add that to the add-in tab as I don't know what command to add.

2) As I update my program and run the install - it always says that the word already has the latest version.  How do I get my latest version up to word, or is it referencing the dll from where I installed it from so just updating that will update the word side?

Thanks!!

Rich

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Rich

All template, COM and VSTO Add-ins may share the "Add-in" tab. So if you at some time had, for instance, a document or template opened with toolbar customizations, the Add-in tab would have been present.

Otherwise, if no loaded document, template or Add-in has toolbar or Ribbon customizations, then the Add-in tab will not be visible.

If you add a Ribbon Designer or Ribbon XML part to your Add-in and put controls on the (default) Add-in tab for your commands, then it will become visible. Note that you can also create your own tabs, if you wish.

I'm not sure I understand your second question... Perhaps you need to describe the way you're installing your add-in in a bit more detail. However, when you install the Add-in it is registered in the Windows Registry. When Word loads it checks the Registry for Add-ins, uses the information to look up where to find them (where they've been installed), and loads them from those locations. So if you install a new version it should be registering itself and Word will look it up.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Rich

All template, COM and VSTO Add-ins may share the "Add-in" tab. So if you at some time had, for instance, a document or template opened with toolbar customizations, the Add-in tab would have been present.

Otherwise, if no loaded document, template or Add-in has toolbar or Ribbon customizations, then the Add-in tab will not be visible.

If you add a Ribbon Designer or Ribbon XML part to your Add-in and put controls on the (default) Add-in tab for your commands, then it will become visible. Note that you can also create your own tabs, if you wish.

I'm not sure I understand your second question... Perhaps you need to describe the way you're installing your add-in in a bit more detail. However, when you install the Add-in it is registered in the Windows Registry. When Word loads it checks the Registry for Add-ins, uses the information to look up where to find them (where they've been installed), and loads them from those locations. So if you install a new version it should be registering itself and Word will look it up.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Hi Rich,

I always find it easier to develop with a custom tab (like Cindy said) even if I intend to move it back to an Office tab at a later stage.  This means that when your add-in dies a horrible death it is a lot easier to find it and re-enable it.  Look under the Properties for the Ribbon Tab (in the Visual Designer click on the actual Tab to get to this) and expand "ControlId" then change "ControlIdType" from "Office" to "Custom"; then note that the CustomId is defaulted to the name of your Ribbon and can't be changed.

For your second problem, I sometimes get this but usually it is when I forget to increment the version when publishing a new version of the add-in.  I find it much simpler to force people to uninstall the old add-in before installing the new one as this just seems to work much cleaner.

I assume that you are aware that when you are developing a VSTO add-in you don't need to install it yourself?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:31 PM