none
Forcing the de-bugger to re-build an application on launch

Question

• Hi all,

Using VS2008 pro. I am currently testing a time-dependant app with historic data. As such, I am amending the system time of the debugging workstation wrt the particular dataset I am using at each run. The problem is, when I make changes to the source files, it is recording an old change date (because of the system time change), so when entering debug mode it does not find any updates to these files since the last debug build, so it is not re-building. I understand the behaviour, and the settings in Tools/Options/Projects and Solutions/Build and Run ("On run, when projects are out of date..."), so now I am trying to manage saves and system time more closely, but I was wondering if there is a way to force a re-build before debugging, regardless of its out of date assessment?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Chris

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hello Chris,

The option you mentioned (On run, when projects are out of date) applies to Visual C++ projects only (more detail here).

To rebuild your projects/solution forcely, you could right click the solution name (or your project name) in Solution Explorer and select Build option in context menu. You can check if you build successfully in Visual Studio status bar or open Output window.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:45 AM