none
how to force getting the maximum network bandwidth? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All! Please I'd like to know how to force my application to get the maximum network bandwidth. thanks.

• Edited by Yuri.B Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:53 PM
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:52 PM

Answers

• The speed of the network card is determined at a very low level in the protocol stack. By default, the speed/duplex is set as "Auto Negotiotate" which means it will generally match the maximum speed of either itself or the nearest router/peer.

You can go into Start, Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, Advance tab, and select the Speed & Duplex property to actually set the precise speed you want, but generally speaking you are best to leave it at "Auto Negotiate".

You don't need to do anything to your application, other than optimize the code so that it is making the best use out of the bandwidth available.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:56 AM
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:02 PM
  • No idea, I'm not an expert in the field. There doesn't appear to be any shortage of open-source download accelerators; you can study their code and find out what they are doing.

http://sourceforge.net/directory/?q=download%20accelerator
    https://github.com/search?q=download+accelerator

Igor Tandetnik

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:57 AM
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:19 PM

All replies

• The speed of the network card is determined at a very low level in the protocol stack. By default, the speed/duplex is set as "Auto Negotiotate" which means it will generally match the maximum speed of either itself or the nearest router/peer.

You can go into Start, Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, Advance tab, and select the Speed & Duplex property to actually set the precise speed you want, but generally speaking you are best to leave it at "Auto Negotiate".

You don't need to do anything to your application, other than optimize the code so that it is making the best use out of the bandwidth available.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:56 AM
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:02 PM
  • ok) but i'd like to know how to set the priority of my application as the higher for getting the max bandwidth.so how to do this programmatically?
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Imagine this were possible, somehow. What exactly should happen when two applications try to do this? What would prevent every application from trying to claim max bandwidth for itself?

Igor Tandetnik

Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:51 PM
  • thanks for your mark Igor , my interest of this is that i'd like to know how does applications like download accelerators accelerate download and get the most of the internet bandwidth. so how those downloaders accelerators do that?

• Edited by Yuri.B Sunday, August 18, 2013 12:30 AM
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 12:12 AM
  • If the download speed is limited by the bandwidth between you and your ISP, then no download accelerator can help with that. You can't empty an ocean with a thimble.

However, more often than not, the download speed is limited by the capacity of the server you are downloading from. Often, the server would limit the bandwidth of each connection, e.g. in order to limit its costs (that's especially true of "warez" and other questionable sites). The download manager may attempt to work around this limitation by opening multiple connections, each downloading a portion of the file (e.g. by means of HTTP range requests), then stitch the complete file together from the pieces.

Even without acceleration, just the capability of resuming an interrupted download from where the previous attempt left off might be valuable, especially if you are unlucky enough to be stuck with a poor, unreliable Internet connection (as was common in the age of dial-up).

Igor Tandetnik

Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:17 AM
  • ok i understood that), so the method used by download accelerators is only the HTTP range requests(opening multiple connections) or does it exist another method for accelerating downloads?
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:42 AM
  • No idea, I'm not an expert in the field. There doesn't appear to be any shortage of open-source download accelerators; you can study their code and find out what they are doing.

http://sourceforge.net/directory/?q=download%20accelerator
    https://github.com/search?q=download+accelerator

Igor Tandetnik

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:57 AM
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Thanks)) I will try to focus on those open-source dl accelerators.
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:38 PM