none
Cannot Debug into Framework Code (v4.7) in VS 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to trace into .NET Framework code. I can search Google with the best of them and I've seen all the advice of how this should work but I've only gotten it to work once a few years ago. The problem I see is that the debugger skips right over the Framework code, never stepping into it.

I've searched Stackoverflow and I've seen the (out-of-date) advice for configuring VS 2013 on referencesource.microsoft.com. Nothing works.

According to the VS "Help | About" window, I'm running VS 2017 v15.3.2 with .NET Framework v4.7.02531 installed. My project is configured to use Framework 4.7.

Below are my settings from "Tools | Options... | Debugger | General" and "Tools | Options... | Debugger | Symbols". I've also included screen shots that show the Modules and Output windows during a debugging session. (You'll have to zoom in to see these windows.) Both windows indicate the .PDB files have been loaded successfully, yet still, I cannot trace into framework code.

Btw, I have tried unchecking the checkbox for "Require source files t exactly match the original version", to no avail.

Please help! 

• Edited by Tom Baxter Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:21 PM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Tom Baxter,

According to your description, I create a sample .NET Framework 4.5 and 4.6 version Console application with my Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise on my Windows 7 machine (since it is a Windows 7 machine, I could not install .NET Framework 4.7). When I start debugging .NET Framework classes, all of them working fine.

Then I try on my another machine which installed Windows 10. And I import the same Visual Studio settings from my Windows 7 machine to my Windows 10 VS2017, I could not debug into the .NET Framework classes, no matter it is .NET Framework 4.7 nor previous version (4.6, 4.5).

So I'm afraid that this problem is not related to Visual Studio 2017 settings. There should be some problem on Windows version. I have submit this issue to Visual Studio Developr Community. You could vote and add comments for this feedback.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/101533/could-not-debug-net-framework-on-windws-10-machine.html

Before this issue resolved on Windows 10, I sugegst you debugging .NET Framework with previous version of Windows.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 25, 2017 7:01 AM