none
I need to go really low level RRS feed

• Question

• Ok im downloading VC++ 2010 express

what i want to  know is does this version C++ with  .net framework

because if heard that the framework slows things down to much

Can i run C++ without .net framework in VC++ express or does it run without the framework

Please help ..

I do only know C# and not C++

Thanks

Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:14 PM

Answers

• C++ is just a language. It is not a .Net language, the language C++ programmers use for .Net programming is C++/CLI.

The Visual C++ compiler supports both languages, you can even mix code in two languages in one source file with the help of pragma.

As long as you don't have managed code dependency, your app won't need .Net at runtime.

VC Express does not have the native programming class libraries like MFC or ATL to help native programming, but there are many other class libraries on the internet you can use, and you can always go to the SDK level like the Hilo Sample Project does.   

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Magic Mushroom Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:42 PM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:58 PM

All replies

• C++ is just a language. It is not a .Net language, the language C++ programmers use for .Net programming is C++/CLI.

The Visual C++ compiler supports both languages, you can even mix code in two languages in one source file with the help of pragma.

As long as you don't have managed code dependency, your app won't need .Net at runtime.

VC Express does not have the native programming class libraries like MFC or ATL to help native programming, but there are many other class libraries on the internet you can use, and you can always go to the SDK level like the Hilo Sample Project does.   

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Magic Mushroom Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:42 PM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:58 PM
  • I am not certain what you are asking.

Any version of Visual Studio 2010 is perfectly capable of making native executables (no .NET used/needed).

The Visual Studio IDE will use .NET to present its user interface, so the actual IDE requires .NET, but the programs it creates won't require .NET unless you specifically request that.

Now, the "slows things down too much" is pretty subjective, you may want to elaborate on what you are doing -- for 95% of what most people do, C# should be perfectly fine, and is generally easier to produce user interfaces with.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I am not certain what you are asking.

Any version of Visual Studio 2010 is perfectly capable of making native executables (no .NET used/needed).

The Visual Studio IDE will use .NET to present its user interface, so the actual IDE requires .NET, but the programs it creates won't require .NET unless you specifically request that.

Now, the "slows things down too much" is pretty subjective, you may want to elaborate on what you are doing -- for 95% of what most people do, C# should be perfectly fine, and is generally easier to produce user interfaces with.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:59 PM
  • So when   run a C++ console app without using system;

does it stop using .Net framework ...

The thing is i want to learn a low level language . Because i already know C#

It is always a good idea to learn other languages.. Isint it??

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Will it be better to Have a C# GUI and a C++ Native dll's to do low level algorithms in my application and call c++ dll's in C#??

Is this possible?? . Can you point me into the right direction??

Thanks

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Exactly what do you mean by a "low level algorithm"? What algorithm are you thinking about that can be written in C++ but not C#?

(By the way, a C# GUI calling C++ native code can be a very good solution for some scenarios.)

• Edited by Brian Muth Friday, February 11, 2011 4:27 PM correction
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:30 PM
  • What i mean is Say i have a access control system that works with hardware than In C# you fingerprint scanner  adds the info to c++ it work with the numbers and hardware and actives the turnstile or something like that...

Make it more quik  :)

Friday, February 11, 2011 10:07 AM
  • It all depends on the how hardware's producer expose the API of the hardware. If the hardware producer expose APIs in COM you can call the hardware's API in any COM language.

Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, February 11, 2011 2:59 PM
  • I agree with Sheng. You need to present more information about the interface to the hardware. Does the manufacturer offer a driver? If not, do you plan to write your own driver? If a driver is available, how is it called? Can it be called directly from .NET?
    Friday, February 11, 2011 4:29 PM