none
Another "mfc90ud.dll" not found error in VS 2008

General discussion

• Another "mfc90ud.dll" not found error in VS 2008
    I am surprised the number of times i get the same "mfc90ud.dll not found error" every time I build a vc application. Almost the same happened in vs 2005. But here is how to stop that error. Right click the project and click properties->Configuration Properties->linker->Debugging Here you will find in the right column "Generate Map File". Toggle it. yes toggle it, in some projects I have to set it to yes' and in some 'no'. Then compile, surely it will work.

Enjoy
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:40 AM

All replies

• Nice ridiculously stupid post. That is not the answer. Don't try and make Microsoft look even dumber than it already does. I'm trying to figure out the answer to this as well, and your answer is not it.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 6:15 PM
  •  

It seems ridiculous but it works! I found this page by google, THX WajihUllahBaig
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:00 PM
  • I find this error quite annoying! I'm using Visual Studio 2008 SP1 german ... yes I know, "real" developers should always use the english version ... well, anyway, the "mfc90ud.dll not found" error shows up with all new MFC projects. Basically there are only 2 ways I found so far to make this error disappear:

a) switch from "debug" to "release" configuration (which is NO solution!)
    b) toggle the "Generate Map File" setting, as WajihUllahBaig descibed.

Obviously the erroneous executable is lacking the manifest, even though it should have been included by the linker. I checked the strings with Sysinternals ProcessExplorer. The erroneous executable contains the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"></assembly>

While the correctly running executable contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
      <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
        <security>
          <requestedPrivileges>
            <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"></requestedExecutionLevel>
          </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
      </trustInfo>
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT" version="9.0.21022.8" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.DebugMFC" version="9.0.21022.8" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"></assemblyIdentity>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
    </assembly>

Any idea how to resolve this?

• Edited by Markoto Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:18 PM
  • Disable your virus scanner.  It gets really exited when it sees a .exe pop up from nowhere.  Asking for a .map file delays the linker enough to give the scanner enough time to not make life miserable for mt.exe.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:49 AM
  • Thanks! That actually resolved the problem.

I'm using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i. Is this a general problem with virus scanners and compilers? I never had this before with any version of Visual Studio and MFC. Only now with the latest version (VS2008 SP1).
    Friday, October 17, 2008 12:25 AM
  • Are you asking if there are software vendors that intentionally make your machine slow and unreliable and always have an update for sale that claims to solve that problem?  Yes, there are and yes, they have.  You don't have to be stuck in that hamster cage.
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 1:02 AM
  • I fixed the problem by setting the property Linker\Manifest File\Generate Manifest: Yes
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Hi,

nice and where can I download / locate the needed debug redistributalbes?

The release redistributables came with the Visaul Studio, and has been copied into:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\vcredist_x86

This package installs the SideBySide components for release applications build with Visual Studio 2008.

But I can't locate the debug redistributalbes.

Where are the DEBUG redistributalbes for Visual Studio 2008?

Friday, May 21, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Microsoft expressly prohibits redistributing the debug DLL's.

-- David

Friday, May 21, 2010 8:02 PM
  • My application, which I develop, must be remotely debugged.

Therefore I have to install, the Debug Version of the Visual Studio 2008 WinSxs.

The workaround I am currently using is, I used the Installshield creating a setup which contains this Debug WinSxs.

But there should be ether a download link for those Debug WinSxs or they should be in a sub folder of the remote Debugger.

==> I can't believe that there is no download link for this. So maybe somebody can tell me the URL.....

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:05 AM
  • I've found this error as well.  I tracked it down to a version problem.  The manifest points to version 9.0.30729.4148 yet version 9.0.30729.1 is installed for the debug dll's with VS 2008 SP1.  You can fix this problem by installing VS2008 SP1 ATL security update (KB KB971092 ), which will install version 9.0.30729.4148 of the debug MFC and C runtime dlls ( MFC90ud.dll and MSVCR90d.dll).

See the following thread:

Missing Debug Versions of MFC and C Runtime VS 2008

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/89a6f97c-d71f-4cd7-b912-7673dfc0f876/

Steve 20+ yr. Software Engineer
    Friday, December 24, 2010 10:34 PM