none
Group Coded UI Test Results

Question

• Hey guys,

I have a Coded UI test that has a for loop inside of it. This loop iterates over a large list of information pulled from my DB, then runs a series of recorded actions using the information. Once one test either finishes or fails, it resets and starts over with the next set of data.

Everything works great, except the results output file gets really messy. The results file lists all of my actions in one huge list. I see the Test method, then EVERY action is nested under it.

Is there a way to group results in a test? For instance can I have the Test Method as the parent, then group all the results for each iteration in the loop under a child group? This is would make the test results easier to review.

On a related note, is having my test in a for loop the best practice? Or is there a better way to go about it?

As always, thanks for the help.

KC Painter

Friday, October 28, 2016 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi KC.Painter,

I have submitted a new idea to the Visual Studio User Voice about adding “customize Coded UI Test results”. You could vote it and comment it under the following link. I think engineers from Microsoft will evaluate this issue seriously.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/16895044-customize-coded-ui-test-results

And would you please mark this reply as answer, which could help other communities, has the same idea as yours, vote and comment it.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by qing__Moderator Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by KC.Painter Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 1:53 AM

All replies

• On a similar note, is it possible to manually write to the test results file? For example can I write a custom message that will appear in the test results file?

I'm trying to find what, if any, options are available to me when it comes to customizing the test results file to make it easier to read.

Thanks.

KC Painter

Friday, October 28, 2016 8:09 PM
  • Hi KC.Painter,

According to your description, you want to customize the coded UI results (group tests, write somethings to test results file) with some settings in Coded UI.

Visual Studio does not have this feature yet, we could not get the customize results of Coded UI with some settings.

In my opinion, the coded UI test result is the .html file, and all actions are included in a “div” html control and combine with JS and CSS. So I think if you want to customize the test results, we need to rewrite the test log file outside the Coded UI (just like edit the web page).

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 31, 2016 2:25 AM
  • Oscar,

Thank you for the clarification. That is a little disappointing since when I run more than more test the results become extremely difficult to see where one cycle ends and the next begins.

It would extremely useful to have some sort of tag or setting that allows me to group the results. Hopefully this is something that is planned for future release.

Thanks.

KC Painter

Monday, October 31, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Hi KC.Painter,

I have submitted a new idea to the Visual Studio User Voice about adding “customize Coded UI Test results”. You could vote it and comment it under the following link. I think engineers from Microsoft will evaluate this issue seriously.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/16895044-customize-coded-ui-test-results

And would you please mark this reply as answer, which could help other communities, has the same idea as yours, vote and comment it.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

• Proposed as answer by qing__Moderator Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by KC.Painter Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 1:53 AM
  • Thank you for submitting the feature request. I have already upvoted the suggestion on the link abover, and I suggest anyone else who gets to this link does the same. For now we all have to rely on custom solutions.

Thanks.

KC Painter

Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:04 PM