none
msix installers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I made a msix installer using InstallShield, actually I just converted my existing msi project and compiled as msix rather than msi.

However, msix does not run in Windows and is not even a known extension!

Using last update of Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 1903.

* After installing Windows I remove all Windows 10 apps, except Store, so I can install something later. I hope support for msix won't need a Windows 10 app?

Thanks.

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:03 AM

All replies

• It should be:

This is also a provisioned app:

DisplayName : Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller
    Version : 2019.125.2243.0
    Architecture : neutral
    ResourceId : ~
    PackageName : Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_2019.125.2243.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Regions :

so by removing all apps you are effectively removing your ability to install .msix packages.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:20 AM
  • Hi OSVBNET,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Currently, Microsoft has added support for msix to os1709 1803 or higher version. Users can click on the msix package to install it, but only if you have installed the latest version of the App Installer.

You can refer to this Microsoft official document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/msix-1709-and-1803-support

So you can try Darren's suggestion to install App Installer and you will get what you want.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Perry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, September 23, 2019 10:37 AM
  • Hi OSVBNET,

Did you try the suggestion that we provide to troubleshoot your issue and was it helpful for your issue?

If your issue still persists or you have any concern, please give us feedback in time. We will do our best to help you. If the reply is helpful for you to handle your issue, do not forget to mark it as answer so      that it will help other community members handle similar issues.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Perry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 26, 2019 3:25 AM
  • Thanks, got it, although the link to the offline installer is not working for me:

https://businessstore.microsoft.com/en-us/store/details/app-installer/9NBLGGH4NNS1

But I will try online then.

To sign a .msix file, shall we use SignTool.exe as normal? Will work?

Need to find some basic info for MSIX structure and getting started with!

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:06 PM
  • Hi friend,

You can try this valid link to get App Installer.

And for the way to sign a xx.msix file, you can still use SignTool.exe, it should work still. Please check this document for the details you need, you can use command like:

SignTool sign /fd <Hash Algorithm> /a /f <Path to Certificate>.pfx /p <Your Password> <File path>.msix      (sign it with a certificate from a .pfx file)

SignTool sign /fd <Hash Algorithm> /n <Name of Certificate> <File Path>.msix   (If your certificate is not a .pfx file)

SignTool sign /fd <Hash Algorithm> /sha1 <SHA1 hash> <File Path>.msix   (specify the SHA1 hash of the desired certificate)

Hope it helps. 

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 9:11 AM