none
Save Visual Studio 2017 Project as VS 2015 Compatible RRS feed

• Question

• I have a class that the computers all use VS 2015, but when I downloaded the VS Community version, I was only able to get 2017.  Now that I've written a program in VS 2017, I need it to be able to run in VS 2015 at school.

How do I make my VS 2017 project compatible with VS 2015?

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Rod_Kzoo,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

It depends on the type of project. For most (standard) types, for example web projects (Full .NET Framework), Windows projects VS 2017 can work in VS 2015, solutions and projects formats are the same. But not compatible for .NET Core projects, the new csproj-based projects for .NET Core aren't supported in Visual Studio 2015. There's a discussion about it here.

Refer: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41188318/opening-visual-studio-2017-projects-in-visual-studio-2015

You could join free Visual Studio Dev Essentials and find visual studio 2015 in the Downloads.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 2:36 AM
  • Hi Rod_Kzoo,

What about this issue?

I agree with Joyce's suggestion, generally we could update the app between VS2017 and VS2015, if you really have to use the VS2017, you could take a backup for your app before you merge it.

Of course, I think you could get old VS version here:

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/older-downloads/

Thanks,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 10:57 AM