none
Location of database RRS feed

• Question

• ok i know this may sound a little stupid, i have a vb project with sql database that i made with mysqlnow its worlking fine,but when i want to export my app and share it with friends where do i get the database from???

like where the actual file is and how to get it in another PC
    • Edited by Taha Kazi Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:51 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:50 AM

All replies

• You could have a local mysql database and reference it but that would be one possible way I just cant think of any code to reference a local database. Try putting the actual database in your projects bin/debug or release folders if you want to share source code though.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Taka,

What kind of database because you write SQL database and then mySQL that are two different ones. And is it is SQL then it can be Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft SQLServer Express, Microsoft SQLCE (which you cannot deal with your friends).

Success
    Cor

Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:22 PM
  • I don't think I have ever heard of "mysqlnow" and nothing turns up through Google or Bing. Since this is a database deployment issue you may want to post to one of the MySQL forums:

http://forums.mysql.com/

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:54 PM
  • sorry paul its not mysql now its mysql, now :P

the database is in MySQL and i made it using the latest workbench

Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:11 AM
  • You could have a local mysql database and reference it but that would be one possible way I just cant think of any code to reference a local database. Try putting the actual database in your projects bin/debug or release folders if you want to share source code though.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

yeah but where does the mysql software exactly store the database???
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:12 AM
  • this is my connection string

Dim con As MySqlConnection = New MySqlConnection("Data Source=localhost;Database=data;User ID=root;Password=*****;")

i found the database its like a folder with many .frm files, thats what i'm looking for right???

So if i move in my app's directory what changes do i make in my connection string

Please Help!

• Edited by Taha Kazi Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:09 AM
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 5:59 AM
  • bump, a little help here?

Monday, April 23, 2012 3:33 AM
  • Why do you use MySQL in the first place?  And what kind of application are you going to share with your friends?  We don't even know whether you are talking about an desktop application or a server application.  Sorry to say, but you probably don't know what you are doing.  That's why you give out little information on your project.  Consequently, people cannot answer you question to your satisfaction.

MySQL databases are often used on servers.  If you have a (shared, dedicated or whatever) web server, they usually give you a server application called phpMyAdmin, which lets you create/edit/export MySQL databases.

Meanwhile, if you are developing a desktop application, you may want to use Microsoft's Access.  In this case, you probably want to create a directory inside Users > User > AppData > Roaming > Company name > Application.  That's where you want to have your database file so that the System won't stop your application from accessing it.

Onion is a recent refuge from Mac OS X and hates Mac App Store. System: Windows 7 x64

Monday, April 23, 2012 5:18 AM
  • Yes you have also very few chance for help in a USA Ford shop if you have a special problem according a Peugeot.

Try the MySQL forums.

http://forums.mysql.com/

Success
    Cor

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:45 AM
  • well its a desktop application and i want to give to some of my friends

i tried using access but it had lots of issues, which were solved when i installed MySQL. the thing is, if i have to share the app does it mean i have to install mysql and add the db and then let them use the app on their systems??

btw its just a simple management app

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:48 PM
  • well its a desktop application and i want to give to some of my friends

i tried using access but it had lots of issues, which were solved when i installed MySQL. the thing is, if i have to share the app does it mean i have to install mysql and add the db and then let them use the app on their systems??

btw its just a simple management app

Okay.  Thanks for clarification.

What do you mean by 'if i have to share the app'?  I'm not trying to be picky.  Do you mean sharing a data set?  There's a big difference between sharing software and sharing data.  If you really have to use MySQL, nobody won't stop you.  But you are likely to need a web server.

Onion is a recent refuge from Mac OS X and hates Mac App Store. System: Windows 7 x64

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Barring any other info, yes, you will need to install MySQL and the database on your users machines.

Usually, a database like this is used as a central repository of data with multiple remote client applications accessing the database so that all clients have the same view of the data.

If your app doesn't require this, then perhaps MySQL was not the best choice. It is possible, though, that a 'lite' version may not need the database engine installing - it's just a number of dlls that are referenced and can be copied with your application (I believe SQLServer Compact does this; MySQL may have a similar version).

So, the question  is, is the data local to the user only, or is the data shared between users?

Stephen J Whiteley

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:37 PM